Recommend a Laptop (Deal)

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Mmm...now I understand about dongles :oops: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73910
I need to think about laptops.
I'm basically getting involved in a small wine business, and need to be able to do some work at work (something I am not used to :LOL: )
Laptop with internet connection to email clients/suppliers etc...plus excel spreadsheets/word/basic design stuff (wine lists etc).
So....I have no idea how much such things cost....any recommendations based on the above criteria?
Cheers
Carl

Dell do good deals on laptops .

and for Office stuff, you can use open office . it is free and compatible with microsoft office .

www.staples.co.uk

£350 for a laptop, or spend £500 and interest free credit for a year. When it's time to get a new computer, our family business buys the cheapest laptop and £150 of paper/envelopes/etc.

The cheapest one they have will be fine.

pretty much any real laptop (stay clear of the lower end netbooks at this point, eg the asus eepc thingies as the screens are fairly crap and the non windows (linux) versions may serve only to confuse you.) will do the tasks you require.

If you are looking at a 3G dongle for connection, PC world and carphone warehouse have been offering deals where you sign up for Xmnths of 3G contract and get a laptop for free.

If your forced to go the 3G route this could be ideal for you.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editor ... b_homepage

any of those should do the trick.

bare in mind that MS office will be additional if you want it legitimately, and if its for business use , you should.

Mmmm...thanks chaps...the free laptop with connection looks like a good plan....when I have worked out which one is the best offer.

as said,pretty much any laptop will do what u require it for,i would steer clear of netbooks though as they are a little limiting (i have both) but the most important factor is as i said before,log onto each mobile website and check out the 3g coverage for your shop area,if you cant get 3g then it is a waste of time,slower than dial up! 3g/hdpsa is very very useable though with a full signal,faster than my home broadband! it is essential you check this out so be warned.....

The laptops with a mobile connection all work out very, very expensive when you consider you're tied to paying for them for a couple of years.

For not a lot of money i would go Dell or HP. For a really small amount of money, circa £3-350 you can get yourself an HP G6000. Its good enough for what you want, reliable and has mosty things including a decent hard drive, web cam and graphics card. Processer is AMD Athlon x2 so will handle what you throw at it, oh and built in WIFI which for you is a good thing heaving read your other plight.

Back