modern shimano question

big.eck

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
right , where does shimano saint and hone fit in the family ? i.e. are they above deore ?

i've never had any experince with them . :cool:

I've been looking at the saint and hone stuff quite a bit lately ( bugger , this meaNs the ebay values will now increase ) the way i see it is saint is lx/xt equivalent but tough , made for the really gnarly riding so is burly and weighs more . The saint flavour of hollowtec 2 for instance is the same as lx except the spider is thicker , it has steel pedal inserts and a steel axle . The bearings have a wider threaded section . Id like to get hold of some saint cranks but they seem to go for about £60 .

Im particularly drawn to the subtle eightiesesque dystopian style they have . You can picture it in a 2020 Akira/Blade Runner type cycling film as a groupset that shimano thought would be futuristic but in doing so has that retro future aesthetic .

It wasnt a popular group as it wasnt very cheap and it was quite weighty so most people carried on using xt . thats why the newer saint is a lot lighter than the old .

I havn't given as much thought to hone but it appears to be deore equivalent but again build excessively tough .

saint and hone where for free-riding and downhill and hone was lx equivent and saint was between xt and xtr and there top hard to kill group hone and lx where imalgimanted to become slx last year. and saint has been lightened up a bit but is the hardcore xt/xtr equivelent each part is has its equiv in the groups :cool: and hone was a black version of lx with steel inserts like perry said :cool:

and hone was a black version of lx with steel inserts like perry said

I got it a bit wrong :oops: I always look at saint and hone stuff at the same time so my distinction between the two is a little blurred but yep , as king states hone is the crank that has the inserts/black/steel axle .

Back