Recommend a digital camera. Up to £200.

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Knocked my camera of the patio table yesterday and smashed it to bits. I'll probably claim on my contents insurance so can spend up to about £200. I don't know whether to buy a new compact one or look for a second hand slr. Any really good deals out there?

Hi you can go for second hand camera. That is the only option to get a good camera in this limited amount. I can try to find in my circle if someone is willing to sell it.

Their are plenty good cameras for under £200. Lumix for starters. I got mine for £60 in a sale

If you want rugged and reasonably well weather proofed then the Olympus mju series are probably the best out there. I've got an ancient one and it just keeps going. Image quality is much of a muchness at that level. All the manufacturers make similar things at similar prices. To be honest you probably don't care whether the lens is a Leitz or Zeiss design, how many elements it has, how many are glass or moulded plastic and for the love of God, please don't get drawn into the "this one has more pixels so it must be better" game. It's the same as the 7/8/9/10 speed game on bikes, there are pros and cons against all! Things like battery life will be more relevant things to consider, whether you're going to run out of juice half way through your day out.

I used to be in the camera game but at the other end of the spectrum so unless you want to buy a D3x or a Phase 1 back for your Hasselblad I'm not going to be much use.

I would recomend the panasonic lumix line too. Leica lens, good battery life and not much shutter delay. And as above the range starts below £200

Latest posts

Back