Spotted fault after posting feedback. Am I ****ed?

JohnH

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I bought a software DVD from eBay (an operating system disc for the Mac) and it arrived today. Everything seemed present -- packaging, disc, booklets -- so I posted positive feedback.

But this evening, I pulled the DVD out of its sleeve, turned it over and.... there's about a dozen small scratches of varying seriousness on the back. I've sent a polite e-mail to the seller telling him what's happened and asking him how he wants to "move forward" with this.

What are my chances of getting a refund? Am I screwed now that I've sent positive feedback?

John.

As a backup plan (and one that works with your existing CD and DVD collection) - you can use Brasso metal polish and a cotton rag to polish out the scratches. I've used it for years with much success on small and even semi-deep scratches and with enough elbow grease you can minimize the scratches, if not remove them outright, such that your computer and CD player will read the disc. Scratches that are radial in nature (i.e. from the center to the outside edge of the disc) are less likely to affect the disc vs. scratches that are circumferential.

dorsetbikeloving":1lhtjama said:
I would report it to e-bay right away and then follow the guy up, at least then you stand a better chance.
When you say "report it" -- how do I do that? Are you talking about raising a dispute?

SF Klein":1lhtjama said:
As a backup plan (and one that works with your existing CD and DVD collection) - you can use Brasso metal polish and a cotton rag to polish out the scratches.
Thanks for the tip, SF Klein -- I gonna commit that one to memory. ;)

REKIBorter":1lhtjama said:
Have you tried to install the disk? may work despite the scratches.
That crossed my mind too, REKIBorter. I would do it, but I haven't bought the computer that this disk was supposed to be used with. And the Mac Mini that I already own is a 2009 model, so it won't have anything to do with a 2005 version of OS X.

Just an update: I've exchanged e-mails with the seller and he seems reasonable. He's apologised for not checking the disc before he sent it and promised to settle things if it doesn't work when I use it with my yet-to-be-bought Mac.

But I don't know when/if I'm going to buy that Mac, so his answer wasn't really good enough for me. So, I've stuck the whole package in a jiffybag, posted it back to him and sent him an e-mail telling him what I've done, why I've done it and asking for my money back.

Here's hoping.... :?

Wll you may be $#$%^& now unless the seller is a decent chap. If you've just sent the stuff back asking for a refund before he's agreed to give you one are you confident that he will?

If I was the seller, I'd be running it through my computer to make sure that it works and (if it does) sending it straight back to you with a note saying that the scratches in no way effect the performance of the disc.

But I'm a badass mofo.

Russell":1dzfbfpc said:
If I was the seller, I'd be running it through my computer to make sure that it works and (if it does) sending it straight back to you with a note saying that the scratches in no way effect the performance of the disc.

But I'm a badass mofo.

So not keeping the money and relisting them for sale to someone else mentioning that the scratches don't affect performance?

Obviously a gentlemanly and honest badass mofo.

Back