Computer help

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Computers getting on a bit :shock: 3ish years. Anyway starting to be problematic, slow, crashes etc. Is there any software that can help me tidy things up a bit? Is it worthwhile buying a new OS? Using XP at the mo but I'd heard Vista was power hungry and rubbish. Of course free downloads of performance/trouble shooting software would be ideal. If its any help windows explorer seems to crash whenever I open any pic or go to my pictures.

if in doubt back up your files work files, music and photos. make sure you have all the software you actually need on CD/DVD and then reformet and reinstall.

Quickest way to sort out a PC that is likely suffering from all sorts of little problems.

Your PC will then be fresh as a daisy and with only the stuff you need on it.

I'm absolutely not an expert, but if it doesn't like you opening pictures, pdfs etc, would fitting more RAM be a possible answer?

Everybody wants to sell you more RAM, but if you go into the Crucial website you can get them to tell you the maximum RAM you can fit to your particular machine, and what type you need. Dabs is usually quite cheap to buy it off. I don't know what benefits there might be in fitting more expensive memory than Crucial - perhaps somebody can tell us.

From the sound of it, the last thing you want is a new operating system. If you're having problems with XP, Vista would kill your PC stone dead. Windows 7 comes out in a few weeks though, and that claims to address the Vista problems - though whether it's less memory-hungry than XP I couldn't tell you.

JeRkY":25s9pps7 said:
if in doubt back up your files work files, music and photos. make sure you have all the software you actually need on CD/DVD and then reformet and reinstall.

Quickest way to sort out a PC that is likely suffering from all sorts of little problems.

I second what is said above.

Failing this ccleaner is a very good peice of free software, also run superantispyware.

More Ram will definately help (presuming your not maxed out already).

Personally I would still with Xp, though Windows 7 does address alot of the Vista issues and runs finr even on old machines. Im currently running it on a 5 year old tablet.

Click:

'start'

'run' - type in 'msconfig'

select 'startup'

select 'disable all'

and restart your computer - this clears all the nasty little programs that make a computer slow on start up. You wont lose anything as anything vital will turn itself back on. You should notice it running faster too

s_zigmond":2gnunoyz said:
JeRkY":2gnunoyz said:

I second what is said above.

Failing this ccleaner is a very good peice of free software, also run superantispyware.

More Ram will definately help (presuming your not maxed out already).

Personally I would still with Xp, though Windows 7 does address alot of the Vista issues and runs finr even on old machines. Im currently running it on a 5 year old tablet.

I'd agree with all this, too.

Backup of data, programs and config, then reformat and reinstall is probably the best approach, but can be time consuming and complex (to get back where you were).

I'd also recommend ccleaner. And more RAM always helps. I also agree with the XP thing.

Cheers guys, tried a few of the suggestions so far and have reaped some marked speed benefits :D

Unfortunately my crash problem is still there. It seems to be a problem with the explorer.exe. I would reinstall windows but it was preinstalled when I got the pc.

More ram is on the cards(currently at 1gb), reckon I could get a few years more out of the computer, not a game fiend or owt.

have you run superantispyware or spybot?

according to a google search, explorer.exe could be a trojan/virus, or it might just be a proper windows .exe file.

I have 1gb of ram & my pc isn't slow for browsing etc, I use CCleaner, superantispyware, spybot, avast anti-virus & webroot firewall on Xp Pro

Back