Help/advice re. designing a work intranet please!

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've got to build an intranet for work (a GP practice). I can do basic stuff and get something simple up and running with html etc. but I fancy something a bit more flash and user friendly.

I only have access to Word and Front Page though. It needs to be easy to update by me, but also navigate by the users.

Where should I start - I've noticed there are loads of free website templates - would they be good or would I need to get some more complex software to edit these?

Start by getting a book of amazon on how to write xhtml.

All you need is notepad or similiar (html-kit is good and free), and a decent graphics package (gimp is free and good).

If you want easy to update go content management system - something like joomla. Steep learning curve at the start if you want a custom template, or you can use one provided.

We do these - "Sharepoint" by MS is the daddy for intranets but we built and maintain some custom inhouse built ones for big corporates.

Id begin by working out what you want the intranet to do:

1) news feeds?
2) Information and document resources?
3) Contact information?
4) Client info (but I imagine you have system for this already)
5) user profiles?

Let me know if you want any advice...

+1 for sharepoint. I'm involved with a sharepoint implementation at the moment, great bit of kit!

thanks for all this info - however it sounds a bit corporate - we're only a small GP Practice with 40 staff and I was just looking for a repository for clinical protocols, staff rotas, minutes of meetings, external links etc - really nothing fancy but a step up from just saving word files as .html - a nice front end, perhaps a search box, a few tabs, easy to navigate... :oops:

You ought to take a look at Sharepoint. It's very flexible. Out of the box it will do exactly what you need from it. Ideal for doc sharing, that sort of thing. You can also create an extranet portion to alow patients access to. It's very good so they aren't going to be able to access confidential areas. That way patients can book appointments online, get health information, download leaflets rather than come in and collect etc.

had a look on Wikipedia re sharepoint - it's all Greek to me :shock: really wouldn't know where to start :oops:

See if you can get a trial version from Microsoft, they'll give you most of their stuff for 60 days. It really is easy to use if you want functional not flashy.

Back