Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
its fecked

hot water comes on for about 2 seconds then switches itself off

no heating as that is a riot of gurgeling sounds.

skint

shit shit shit.... :cry:

Could be something really simple....I'm not sure of the technical terminology but there is a little sensor that checks the temperature....if it doesn't detect the correct temp. it turns the gas off.
A fairly easy job for good plumber and not expensive...mine went and it cost £50.
Of course it could be some a lot more major :(

When you say gurgeling sounds, it's likely to be an air trap in the heat exchanger. If the flow of water isn't large enough then the boiler cuts off, same way when you open the hot water tap a small amount the boiler doesn't kick in.

I would try and air the system as a start, try opening all hot water taps at the same time.

Do you have the manual, or can you find it online?

I had that one mine, hear it fire up and then straight off, no matter what the water pressure/flow through the taps.

Dunno what it was but I:

Switched it off and on (mains).
Pressed the reset/cut off switch under the plastic screw cap by the controls (models may vary).
Bled the Rads of air, heating running for a bit. (Not been on in ages, quite a bit of air).
Topped up pressure with the filling loop. (That I left in place when I installed it).

Problem hasn't occured since. (Yet)

That said. (I'm no plumber).

Mines a bit fubar too
It wont hold water,if i want to use hot water i need to fill it for 10 seconds to make sure theres enough water in it
The wee gauge is knacked so you can tell how much is in it
:shock: Replacement cost

On that note ,seeing as you've been away,the level may have dropped,try filling it for 5 or so seconds
Whats the water gauge reading? :? it does sound like the problem i have

Did you try filling it LGF??

Might very well just be a drop in pressure,as its been off and unused for a while

1,Look under the boiler
2,You will see a small hose connecting 2 pipes[there should be 1 or 2 taps connected to them]this is the filling loop
3,Turn them till you hear rushing water[thats it filling]
You may have to open one tap then slowly open the other till you hear the water[experiment as to which tap you open and which you open slowly[till you hear..etc.]
4,when you hear it filling,leave it for a few seconds [It Takes only about 5 seconds so dont over do it thinking its not enough]

*Take note*
When you call the plumber in,this is the very first thing he is going to check ;)

IMHO,i dont think its the thermostat,if that was the problem you would get nothing,it wouldnt come on at all

Our boiler packed up terminally 3 days before Christmas last year :evil: Phoned a few local heating installers all of whom said they could not do anything about it until the new year. Phoned British Gas, guy came out the same day to do a survey etc, new boiler installed in new location and commisioned on Christmas Eve. Very professional job and very courteous installer. Plus they do finance which helped at the time.

Back