rojo

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys

Well the wife has now got a job where she has to go to wales three times a week. We live in devon so for those three days she will have the car we only have the one at the moment. Haven't much money to spend on a second car but could get maybe up to £700 for the car. So yeah it is going to be cheap, it will be used just around the town, pick kids up from school and to get the to work. The two cars we like are the old golfs and peugeot 306. Had a golf few years back and brill car.

So just wondering what you guys think out of those two cars?? Even better if you know someone in devon selling one :LOL: :LOL:

i may be biased but a £700 golf is likely to be far better than a £700 306.

Both good cars in that price bracket. I'd expect you to get something a bit newer in the 306, but they are much of a muchness. One of my friends always used to say "buy french, but twice" although I've always thought this applied more to Renault, than French in general. ;)

lewis1641":304wonad said:

What the car was like new has virtually zero bearing on what it will be like now it's worth £700.

I've bought cars at that price before and all I'm interested in is:

- What does it drive like?

- Is it straight? i.e Even tyre wear, electrics working, no smoke, significant oil leaks etc.

- History i.e. if it's got all the old MOT's and service receipts and they're all up to date, the car should be in good order.

If all three are OK then it's a go. Brand prestige is a nonsense at this price, you want something that'll go for 12 months without something expensive failing. I once bought a £500 VW Polo and it was scrapped 9 months later, I replaced it with a £400 Rover Metro and that lasted for 3 years.

rojo":219hxl5f said:
What you think of this one, which is near me??? bit more money though but looks tidy

http://motors.uk.freeads.net/cars/cars_ ... miles/view

I'd find out at what mileage the cambelt needs doing, and if it's been done. If it hasnt been changed yet get a price from your local garage and knock that off the asking price.

Otherwise follow my advice above, I'd also give the clutch some stick - get in to fourth and drop down to 15mph on a flat road, put your foot down and the revs/speed should grow slowly and steadily. Also make sure it bites mid-way through the pedal travel and isn't right at the top.

For that money I would be looking at japanese stuff. Old civics \ micras etc. Failing that cars that were never really loved in the first place so dont command a higher price through scene tax eg. old Hyundias or dihatsus. You will pay more for a golf just beacause its a golf. Also dont rule out a lower mileage Fiats. £700 will buy you a good MK1 Punto. Ive had a few and as long as they are serviced on time they a fine for no frills motoring.

Tallpaul":ki02a06j said:
lewis1641":ki02a06j said:

What the car was like new has virtually zero bearing on what it will be like now it's worth £700.

I've bought cars at that price before and all I'm interested in is:

- What does it drive like?

- Is it straight? i.e Even tyre wear, electrics working, no smoke, significant oil leaks etc.

- History i.e. if it's got all the old MOT's and service receipts and they're all up to date, the car should be in good order.

If all three are OK then it's a go. Brand prestige is a nonsense at this price, you want something that'll go for 12 months without something expensive failing. I once bought a £500 VW Polo and it was scrapped 9 months later, I replaced it with a £400 Rover Metro and that lasted for 3 years.

i agree but i wasnt making any comparison to new cars - i have never bought a new car in my life. sub 700 is my price band. of the 2 cars given i find golfs more solid and better cars to drive than the pug

I'd go for a micra if it was me. My sister had a 1 litre S reg one with over 200 thousand miles on the clock, it was still going strong when she sold it.

Back