new eBay terms and cons

Russell

Old School Grand Master
I'm sure many of you got the message from eBay this week about their new dispute policy... Here it is, with the bits that concern me in bold.

"Under the eBay Buyer Protection Policy [v1], if we resolve a dispute in the buyer's favour, we may:

remove funds from the seller's PayPal account to reimburse the buyer for the costs of both the item and original postage fee. This is in accordance with the seller's authorisation provided to us under the new User Agreement [v2] ; or,
where there are insufficient funds in the seller's PayPal account or where PayPal is not the reimbursement method of the seller, directly refund the buyer for the cost of the item and the original postage cost. In this case, the seller must reimburse us in full in a timely manner for an amount equivalent to the sum we paid to the buyer.

Sellers must have a reimbursement method on file with eBay at all times. The reimbursement method can be changed by contacting eBay and searching for 'Change My Reimbursement Method'. Where the seller is found at fault, we will notify them and charge the method of reimbursement they have on file.

Changes to the eBay.co.uk User Agreement

The new User Agreement is effective immediately for new members registering on or after today, and from 23rd October 2009 for current members. You don't need to do anything to accept the new User Agreement, but if you don't wish to accept, please, follow these instructions to close your account."

Now, I've never been at the receiving end of a dispute on eBay, but surely this new policy just leaves sellers open to buyers who try it on?

eBays attitude is clearly this is our new policy, if you don't like it, f**k off.

Do you like it? Will you close your account? I think I might... I'm tired of being bossed about by eBay and Paypal.

Sorry if this has been disussed elsewhere.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Never sold on there, never will, never trusted ebay or paypal, one in the same. [/mytwopennethworth]

Thanks Russell for highlighting the bits of concern , i noticed the new agreement but , possibly like many will , didnt bother to read it .

Sounds very " give us our money " :?

I never sell on my account , i use the mrs ( to avoid paypal and stupid questions ) but will probably give up selling now . Would the old " sold as seen , viewing highly welcomed " be any good ? i guess not when they would just take the money anyway :(

The way they are making people agree is a bit cheeky .

I will probably protest and close my main account...fecking Ebay is getting plain daft...sure, they do provide a service but hell do you pay for it.

Im probably going to give up selling there too.Its one thing after another with them,im my experience any change is a user agreement usally means they've discovered another way of fleecing you further.
The bit about them paying the buyer then hounding you for the balance seem incredibly naive,say you didnyt get it and you are 100% guaranteed to be refunded,ebay will pay without question then set a debt collection agency to claim it back

Dodgy practices :evil:

I sell the odd set of alloys on ebay. The fees are high and terms questionable but i don't know any other way to turn wheels to cash in a week. I've had a few seller disputes, usually revolving around buyers not reading listings. 1 ebay decided in the buyers favour but most in mine.i think their fees and policies encourage ending auctions early and not accepting paypal. I seriously think the days of paypal gifts are numbered too.

Look at this!

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/sell/april2009/pandp.html

If not using them means I get less for my bikes, then so be it. This is my hobby, and while I don't want to lose money I don't care that much about making it either. I just enjoy fiddling around with old bikes.

Money is sapping a lot of the fun out of our hobby.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Sold a lpatop PSU recently and I had to offer free postage, cocks. The item had a £4.99 start instead of a 99p start to cover my recorded delivery postage. I have always used recorded delivery as the scam for saying I have not received it is such an old one.

Carl.

chris667":34ghtnew said:
Look at this!

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/sell/april2009/pandp.html

If not using them means I get less for my bikes, then so be it. This is my hobby, and while I don't want to lose money I don't care that much about making it either. I just enjoy fiddling around with old bikes.

Money is sapping a lot of the fun out of our hobby.

I just read that,
Why is eBay making this change?
Excessive P&P costs are cited as a major reason for buyers spending less on eBay. Free P&P is increasingly standard on online shopping sites, and offering the same on eBay contributes to a higher rate of successful sales. To ensure
eBay remains a dynamic marketplace, we’ll be introducing the requirement to offer free P&P for listings in selected categories (see below).

How will this benefit me?
Shoppers are more likely to buy your items if the P&P is free, as buyers are increasingly used to seeing free P&P offered while shopping online.

Load of bollocks, it's to stop the people who put £10+ on P&P from China and then a BIN for 99p to circumvent the Fees iirc. It has nothing to do with the alleged benefits* as that surely should be up to the seller to decide what is best for them as normal shops can.
But doesn't it just mean you can do first option P&P Free for collection, then charge £10 as the second option for actual delivery ?

*though there is actually good evidence, from what I remember a year or so back, that free P&P does create a higher end price.

Back