Laptop's died recommend me a new computer

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The laptop is well and trully buggered, hard drive is making funny noises and when I try to start up Windows starts to load then I get a blue screen and "unmountable boot volume" message. I'm currently on line thanks to a Xubuntu boot disk.

It's an old laptop so I'm thinking time to replace it.

I need something running Windows :( unfortunately due to my studies, I also need a CD drive so netbooks are out. My budget is minimal. I'm open to PC bundles or laptops. What do you chaps recommend as I'm bit of a computer numpty.

My thoughts were a Toshiba L300-20W, 299 pounds doesn't seem bad. Vista basic unfortunately.

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/ ... roductPage

For a little bit more I could have an EMACHINES EME625-203G16MI

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/produc ... _-position

I have no idea of what I'm looking at and the last thing I want is a computer BSO equivalent. Cheap basic reliable will do me, I don't want cheap and flash (no full sus with discs for 99quid)

Cheers.

if you can wait a while i wouldnt be surprised if legrandfromage has something knocking about for cheap . hes on holiday at the moment though

Cheers,

I need to get something sorted next week really otherwise I'm going to start dropping behind with that there booklearning.

to keep you up and running can you not just replace the hd for now, you can pick them up fairly cheap and its an easy job in most cases!

If you want something reliable and decent get a Dell. Been inthe industry for about 15 years and I keep going back to Dell. Thinkpads used to be good but since the sell out they have gone downhill. Dell have an outlet store where you can buy a cancelled order (the cheaper older spec machines can be refurbs but current spec stuff is cancelled orders) at a reduced cost and well worth checking out. I ran 2 Dells for about 5 years with no problems and I currently have a 6 year old Inspiron that is still going strong and my own day to day laptop is also a Dell that has been trouble free.
They are currently running a back to school offer and the Inspiron priced at £349 looks like a good bet, with a slightly better spec than the e-machine but far superior build (I have had experience with emachines and they are a bit cheap feeling).

Carl.

I can chuck you a 20GB laptop hard disk in the post of you're OK with Windows install, data restoration etc.

Back