lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi i have a pair of black mavic 717 xc's on my modern bike. They looked great in their blackness on my white on one but i've just replaced the frame with an airborne and the black doesn't suit. I know i'm being a tart and its a bike for riding not looking at but if they are easy to strip i'm going to have a bash. I don't have any nitromors or drain cleaner in stock so before i rush out and buy both i'm better off knowing what it is. I'm guessing its paint but happy to be proved wrong

The black on the XC717, mine look very much like an anodising.
Also anodised colour is much lighter than heavy paint

So you'd need to caustic soda them, then polish them, trying not to get it on parts you don't want it or in the nipple holes ...
Far too much hassle in my opinion.

Also if they're the normal version (XC717 and not XC717 Disc) you'll cause temporary damage to the braking surface.

They are the disc version. It is a lot of work i guess but they do look poor. Maybe it'll grow on me. Or i'll paint the frame pearl white to match to on one!

24fz8uh.jpg

i jus tthink theres too much black.

might remove the decals then theres less of a colour clash?

black always looks awesome with ti

ditch all the stickers . bikes are for riding , not reading

perry":32z6ih1a said:
bikes are for riding , not reading

that should be your sig strip! i've read that from you a time or two now!

my only reservation is that this bike is a bit of an insurance fund. if i run out of cash i can always sell stuff off. it'll fetch more if its in a more original state. apart from the wheels which i was happy to destroy... :roll:

i do think ti frames look awesome without any logos - i'll sleep on it for a bit then decide.

Don't trash the rims then, get some new different coloured tyres. They are cheaper :roll:

Honestly though I cannot see the problem. Looks fine.

Latest posts

Back