It's snowing (Apple Mac fans)

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Got Snow Leopard. And it's good stuff. My iMac is working quicker. And some nice improvements.
Still some changes I wish they would make. But that's me :roll:

tintin40":vltg5a95 said:
Got Snow Leopard. And it's good stuff. My iMac is working quicker. And some nice improvements.

What processor/RAM is in your iMac? My 1.6ghz/2gb Macbook almost creaks under the strain these days. I was gonna buy Snow Leopard and upgrade to 4gb.

I bought mine Dec 08. 4gb ram with2.88ghz. I was surprised how quick it made it. plus Safari works better hence now i'm on site at home ??

But my biggest problem with the web is that we are at the back of the house and the modem is at the front with a wall behind it :x
So some time i take the Mac to the living room.

tintin40":21hrg40c said:
I've installed Snow Leopard, but I can't see any difference in speed (although to be fair, I only bought my Mini in July, so the HDD hasn't had a chance to be fragmented or bunged up with crap). It also misbehaves in ways that Leopard didn't so I'm thinking of re-installing 10.5.

Tallpaul":21hrg40c said:
What processor/RAM is in your iMac? My 1.6ghz/2gb Macbook almost creaks under the strain these days. I was gonna buy Snow Leopard and upgrade to 4gb.
Hey Tallpaul, are you sure that your Macbook has a 1.6GHz processor? The Macbook Airs shipped with 1.66GHz processors, but I think that the Macbooks started at 1.83GHz: http://www.lowendmac.com/macbookpro/macbook-index.html

If in doubt, feed it ram. Thinking about Snow Leopard. But in no hurry to upgrade.

If in doubt, feed it ram. Thinking about Snow Leopard. But in no hurry to upgrade.

I bought a new 13" Macbook Pro 2 weeks ago and took up the free-ish snow leopard upgrade when it was released last week..

My thoughts..

It freed up about 23gb of hard drive space.. I was well impressed with this before I realized that it calculates the space differently.. Other then that, I'm sorry to have to admit, but bugger all speed difference on a brand new Macbook.. :shock: maybe, a slightly faster finder load.. but nothing that impresses compared to windows. The real con is the whole.. Ooo its a true 64 bit operating system.. erm, well why is my Macbook forced to run in 32 bit mode.. the world isn't completely ready for 64bit yet!

On the whole though, as a Mac newb.. bloody el Mac OS X is rather good.. can't get over the whole gestures think on the track pad.. Mmmm! The iPhone hooked me into Apple and the rest is history.. and I'm a Microsoft .Net developer.. :shock:

JeRkY":3lsbzbge said:
If in doubt, feed it ram.
Oh, OS X loves ram -- the more the better. But when Tallpaul said...
Tallpaul":3lsbzbge said:
Either way it is much slower than when I first bought it.
...it suggested that this has been getting worse over time. Hence my defrag suggestion.

The cheapest method (but with more hassle) is to back everything up, wipe the main drive using Disk Utility and re-install OS X. Although to be honest, if you're going to that much trouble, you might as well install Snow Leopard while you're at it... :roll:

Back