Bike to work scheme again!!!

s_zigmond

Senior Retro Guru
I know this has been covered countless times so i apologies in advance, but i have a couple of questions.

Basically I am in the process of trying to pursuade my company to sign up to the scheme.

I remember reading somewhere (on here i think) that you can add to the £1000 limit and that Halfords (for example) can source any vehicle no matter who makes it? Is this the case or did i dream it?

I have spoken to Edinburgh Cycles today who i was planning to get the company to use, but they have said there is a max limit of £1000 (no adding to this etc) and that they can only supply what they stock.

Ideally I am after a recumbent as I have every other type of bike I require already.

Any advice \ help would be much apreciated.

Thank you in advance

Stephen

The limit is £1000 according to the rules of the scheme. When it was first set up you could add cash to buy a more expensive bike, but not any more.

Halfords are big and have a dedicated team to administor the scheme, they can source any bike that has a UK distributor. As you've discovered, smaller bike shops tend to only offer what they stock.

JeRkY":1hmlvl46 said:
http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employee,faqs.htm

answers in there.

"If your employer wants to supply bikes costing over £1000 (retail price including VAT) then they will need a Consumer Credit Licence, and this costs £725, so many employers limit the package value to £1000."

Hmmm, that's not the explanation Halfords gave me! :LOL:

on a related note, is there a way I can get a frame only deal on the scheme?

JeRkY":2gmygg61 said:

No (again, according to Halfords).

When I asked this they said the money could only be used for a whole bike and approved accessories (lights, helmet etc.). When I asked if I could buy a £99 bike and spend the other £900 on a frame they said no.

Tallpaul":1vsdbm0s said:
JeRkY":1vsdbm0s said:

No (again, according to Halfords).

When I asked this they said the money could only be used for a whole bike and approved accessories (lights, helmet etc.). When I asked if I could buy a £99 bike and spend the other £900 on a frame they said no.

Shucks, I was thinking alonmg the lines of gifting the shop all the parts needed to build the frame up, then charge the scheme for the frame & labour for the build.

JeRkY":14t769xp said:
Shucks, I was thinking alonmg the lines of gifting the shop all the parts needed to build the frame up, then charge the scheme for the frame & labour for the build.

I have heard of individual shops being 'creative' with how they run the scheme. If your scheme uses an LBS, get chatting with them and see what they could do?

e.g. They could put the whole bike through the scheme then 'buy' the parts from you to sell in the shop and fit your parts in the deal? Or they could order the bike in and put it in their 'sale' so it comes in under £1000 then you 'refund' them the difference by giving them the parts you don't want?

as long as you have a whole bike on the invoice , it doesnt matter .

halfords wont do it , but your independant lbs certainly would .

i heard people getting dh bikes and even canoes on the scheme .

Back