Stone Roses 20 Years old.........

mikefoster

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Following on from Harrburgundy's post the other week about The Queen is Dead album by The Smiths.
Just seen an ad on tv for the 20th year anniversary edition of the Stone Roses 1st album.
Was listening to it last week and thinking how good it still sounded. Didn't think it was that old.
Any good for you lot discuss!!!!!!!!

I never got into the state of mind that was the 'roses first.
Prefer the second, coming, I'll just get my coat!

In my opinion the greatest album of all time!

Seen them play on dozens of occasions, although i can't remember most!! :roll:

Al, :D Manc and proud.

Tis true

It is, without doubt, the greatest debut album ever written!!!

It is the one album that I come back to again and again and it still sounds as fresh as it did when it came out.......

Tnega":1el9zohg said:
I never got into the state of mind that was the 'roses first.
Prefer the second, coming, I'll just get my coat!

Know what you mean. First album is great. But I actually prefer the second Coming too.

I think it's up there as a great rock n roll album of all time.

back when albums were a labour of love and a piece of work. Rather than 10 single tracks laid out and spaced equally.

fools gold 9;53 accompanied me between Croydon and London this morning.

:D

Loved both albums but if im honest I was dissapointed by the Second Coming. They made us wait far too long and we built it up too much I guess.

Word has it that Renni has made an album of some merit but is not interested in releasing it.

Make you feel old doesn't it? I remember Sunday family outings in the mid 80's listening to Dad's Beatles, Stones and Byrds tapes, and remember thinking how old it sounded (I had New Order and Echo and the Bunneymen on my walkman). That music was only 15-20 years old at that point in time. That makes those early 80's post Punk bands 25 years plus, which timewise would have been like listening to Buddy Holly!!
I will have more thought for my own children before I put the Roses or Primal Scream on in the car in future.

Si, still mad for it!

The eighties were drawing to a close -- a decade that had forced me to endure Brother Beyond, Curiosity Killed The Cat, Johnny Hates Jazz and the unstoppable torrent of shite that was churned out by Stock, Aitken and Waterman.

Then in November of 1989, I sat watching Top of the Pops, and my world changed.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqLhZHyiKI

Has it really been 20 years? Where did all that time go? :(

I got into it late maybe around 92, always was in to the manchester thing, carpets,monday, charlatans etc but always thought brown was a bit of a dick so never gave it the time of day until 1 drunken evening it was on at a mates house, something just clicked and I realised what I'd had been missing out on. Like the early stuff too "sally cinamon is a classic". Do like some of Browns new stuff too. Still think he's a bit mental though. Play it to my kids in the car too. Gotta educate them to listen to decent tunes I think.
Should still sound great in another 20 years.
As the saying went "Madchester Rave On!!!!!!!!!"

I only caught up the the roses mid 90s when I was a teenager... But oh crikey, getting old...

Sally cinnamon is one of my favourite tracks... And elephant stone... (actually, this could go on...)

Lets make a time machine and do it all again. Such happy days.

I have to agree- one of the best albums ever made, second coming was a bit of a dissapointment really to much charlie by that point I suppose. saw them at the hacienda BITD and even given brown could not sing they were a force of nature. Watched the blackpool gig just the other day- "we're international we're continental!"

Back