letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
......so who has been through this?

Tyke in question - Her name is Juno - 12 weeks old - standard daschund

P1010033.jpg

Photo was taken a couple of weeks ago she is now bigger.....well slightly!

I have found that if you make sure that the area near the by the back door or entrance to the garden is covered with newspaper, you can make sure that the puppy is swiftly moved outside or onto the paper every time it starts to go. If it goes on the paper or outside of it's own accord give it lots of praise. Gradually over the course of a couple of weeks, reduce the area covered by the paper and continue to make sure the dog is plonked on there or outside if you see it start to go anywhere else. Continue to praise if it goes outside or on the paper on it's own.

It should quickly get used to only going on the paper or outside, at which point you can eliminate the paper, (hence doing this by the back door in the first place). Hopefully the dog will now go to the backdoor everytime it needs to go and you can let it out.

Probably not the most technical approach, but it has worked for our last 4 family dogs with no problems. :)

the above is excellent advice.

lots of praise is essential when they do the right thing. if they do the wrong thing getting angry or shouting will be a big step back.

Good advice above although we never used paper, at that age you really need to be taking them outside every hour to see if they want to go.

When they wake up, have a drink, have been playing or eat something take them outside and if they do something lots of praise and even a treat if you want :)

If you can spot that their about to go inside usually when they start sniffing or circling, if you pick them up quickly the suprise is enough to stop them peeing and you can get them outside in time ;)

If your not quick enough and they do have an accident just ignore it and clean it up with a weak solution of biological washing powder as it masks the smell so they won't start repeating in that area.

If you get cross the puppy is just going to see it as attention and it will just encourage it to keep peeing inside to get more attention :)

I've got a really good book here if I can find it and if you haven't bought it already called 'the perfect puppy' which your welcome to if you want it :)

Good luck :LOL:

Positive reinforcement - praise her when she does something right. Ignore her when she does something wrong ;)

A dog-owning friend of mine advised (alas, too late for me to use the advice) assigning the dog an area in the garden to use. He suggested fencing a part off for the first couple of months and placing it in there, then after that the dog will use just that bit without the fence.

I don't know if this is considered good advice or not, but when I looked at the brown patches of lawn caused by dog pee and the randomness of other, more sinister, brown patches, it seemed a pretty attractive proposition!

But to reiterate what is said above: praise the positive, ignore the negative. If you come down in the morning and the dog has crapped on the carpet, it won't understand why you're shouting at it.

Back