Brick Lane market sunday bike thieves something must be done

hurin76

Retrobike Rider
Brick Lane market sunday bike thieves something must be done...

I have had enough of this, I have lived in East London around the hackney area on and off over the last 3 years. In this time I have become aware as has most people of the ongoing selling of stolen bikes and bike parts at Brick lane market.. I have had enough! I just want to know why are the police not doing anything. Every sunday the thieves are there in the same old places. Selling off peoples bikes for next to nothing! I myself had my beloved 1989 specialized stumpjumper in mint condition stolen from the broadway market area outside the cat and mutton. So I went on a quest to find it, low and behold 2 weeks later bits of it appeared on the stolen part stall owned by the chinese guys. I have been monitoring the goings on at brick lane, watching these little white trash scum selling the parts to the chinese guys and they re sell it on to the public..Today I witnessed a ritchey swisscross being sold for £100!! All I could think of was the poor sod who had lost it..and now some other greedy git was getting it for peanuts propigating more theft..

I am sick of it, I have informed the police and they do nothing, I don't know what to do next..perhaps go to the papers..if the police sit by and do nothing what can the man on the street do?

It's been going on for years. I lived in Stepney and Mile End 18 years ago and it was electrical goods back then, every stall had em under the covers, Police walk right by - they say that it's too hard to prove anythings stolen as no one marks their property and one video (or bike) looks the same as another... :evil:

Inform your MP and ask him to enquire why the local police arent stamping hard on these sellers[DO NOT sound like a crusader]Final thing is ask when is best to follow this up with him and leave it at that
Cops move a bit quicker when an MP calls for action ;)

OR...

Dress up as a samurai and descend upon them one morning with sword in hand screaming bloody retribution :twisted:
Works for some :LOL:

Mark your bikes & parts with Smartwater, it has a unique chemical fingerprint & it cannot be easily seen by the naked eye and is almost impossible to remove.

OR...

Dress up as a samurai and descend upon them one morning with sword in hand screaming bloody retribution :twisted:

Get as many people as you can to go there on a sunday with slogan t shirts and plackards and let everyone know they are selling stolen property. Might get you shot though

theft

all my bikes are marked by the police with details taken down...did me no good what so ever...my specialized was broken down and sold piece meal...would be pretty hard to track that down...

I have already considered the samurai sword option..think that may be frowned upon by the police, although in the short term it would bring satisfaction!! ;)

My recently stolen Ribble 531 racer I suspect ended up as parts with the chinese scum stall. Pretty sure I saw the bars for sale there the sunday after the friday it got stolen.

I was there this morning (still looking for my frame :( ..will the hunt ever end?) and saw a Orange E4 being flogged for £100, and the chap telling some punter it was a top end US manufactured machine.

Previously seen a team marin for £100.

Your right, it is disgusting and that it is so blatant. I have previously seen the police confiscate a bike being sold on the street corner a little further down brick lane towards trumans yard. And I do feel that its a problem of resource for them to deal with it on a large scale.

I always take my Dlock with me on the offchance I see my Ribble, at which point one of two things may happen, I clamp the bike to a lampost and contact the plod, or I clamp the thieving scum holding my bike to the end of my D lock. It really depends on how it plays out.

I suspect its way too late now, it's probably had the hanger chopped, braze ons removed and resprayed by Bricklane bikes and sold on at a stupid price to some skinny jeans wearing fashion asshat as a fixie/ss.

dlock

yeah, i too use my 'dlock' on multiple occasions in east london, especially when i am on the 149 or 276 hell buses with a special needs w**ker with his phone music on full bore at the back of the bus!!

i went around heavily armed for a couple of weeks after i lost my stumpjumper, the anger was so great i probably would of killed whoever had it, so on reflection it was perhaps fortunate i never found them...

Back