Irrational (?) fear of carbon bars

Russell

Old School Grand Master
I really want some carbon bars for one of my modern bikes but I can't bring myself to do it because in the back of my mind I just don't trust carbon bars. I have never seen any fail myself, but I keep reading horror stories about the catastrophic and instant failiure of carbon bars on the .net and it scares me off.

I know that something like the Sunline V1 or Titec Hellbent are marketed as 'burly' all-mountain bars, but I just don't trust them.

I'm also aware that many of the breakages you read about are probably due to incorrect installation, ie a monkey wrenching the allen key round and damagnig the bar at the stem/brake clamp etc area.

Am I being irrational? Do you use carbon bars? Should I just conquer my fears and lay the cash down on some bling carbon bars or should I stick to good old metal?

I'm using Easton EA70 carbon bars on my ex demo Orange 5, the bars came with the bike & are my 1st carbon bars.

No problems at all with them, any bike parts can break no matter what they're made of.

I am not the gentlest of riders either & do get some airtime so my bars have seem some abuse.

A lot of carbon stuff from the top brands is very well made & has a lot of R & D from years of testing to ensure the best possible strength from them

18 stone of clumsy rider on carbon bars over hear. I love them and trust them with my face. S works on my on one and syntace on my khs. Had easton in the past too

so i am just being paranoid then :)

Does anyone use a torque wrench or do you just ease up a bit when you're fitting them?

Russell":1nclvwpt said:

Does anyone use a torque wrench or do you just ease up a bit when you're fitting them?
Don't have a torque wrench myself. I just nip them up till they feel right and take an allen key with me in case they feel loose during a ride

A different part, but their has been a lot of lively debate about the use of Carbon Forks and especially buying some of the cheapies out there and that they have not been tested like your name brand ones.

Russell":x1hbhgtr said:

no torque wrench here, just nip them up just enough to stop them moving, same with the brake & shifter clamps.

Latest posts

Back