Why are my mono mini,s so crap?

bigdavevw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys, got a problem with my front brake, just cant stop me worth a f*ck. Its really annoying. it is a realatevly new caliper, with nearly new pads. The first time i fitted it, it was working fine, then it just seemed to get weaker. So i bled it with new fluid, and cleaned the pads. Its still crap i,ve tried loads of things and its still crap.
cleaned the pads loads of times
sanded the pads
sanded the disc slightly
Bled it 3 different times, using the instructions off hope,s website.

dont know what to do now :evil: :twisted: :x :( :eek: :cry:

dave

I know exactly what you mean, mine have just the same problems as do my mate's. They're OK, but not a great stopper and I'll be putting something else on next time.

I had a similar problem with some Avids, did you 'bed in' the pads?

Up and down the road.....about 10 really sharp stops should do it!

Not hugely impressed with mine either, although I've only got one that's currently working on the rear. The following helped:

1. Sintered pads (a bit spendy, but they are better).
2. Bed them in on 3/4 nice long downhills. At bottom of each downhill, douse caliper and pads with water.

They stop reasonably well now, although modulation could be better. They do look fantastic, but I don't think they compare well to the modern stuff.

What are you cleaning the pads with? Is the disc absolutely spotless?if the pads have been contaminated they are pretty much goosed.how bad are they and what are you comparing them to? They are far from the be all and end all of braking systems. I'm happy with mine though

I clean the pads with petrol, and i,ve sanded them down too. yea they should be bedded in by now. had them long enough. The rear mono mini works excelently tho. I think maybe its still not bled properly tho as the rear lever feels nice and solid, the front feels spongier. but i have bled it the way it said 3 times.

Ultimate pain in the ass brakes.

Anyone wanna swap for some juicy 5,s :LOL:

Try bleeding from the caliper up- air goes uphill so makes sense. You'll need a syringe and some tubing that seals well. Open the reservoir and removethe fluid.open the caliper, pump in fluid, close caliper. Repeat till all oil is flushed through. Your problem could also be dodgy fluid

zigzag":21z9puc8 said:
1. Sintered pads (a bit spendy, but they are better).
2. Bed them in on 3/4 nice long downhills.
They stop reasonably well now, although modulation could be better. They do look fantastic, but I don't think they compare well to the modern stuff.

I've always bedded my brakes in like the above and I use sintered pads. My mono's are modern, only just over a year old now.

Yep, they look great, pity they don't perform well. It can't be just me and my cycling buddy (who bought them at the same time) having the exact same problem...? Can it?

Mine are fine. What size rotors are you running?

I found 160 F 140R to be a bit weedy but now running 185/160 it's improved the braking a lot.

What about hoses? Only ever had the braided ones so if you've not tried them then maybe worth a go.

I've not been impressed with mini mono's , infact the mono m4 on the front of my big bike only seems to be as powerful as the original mini's on my p7 which are so sharp i'm going down a size on the back because it locks up so easy.

Back