Road chainsets on MTBs - longshot tech Q.

mtbfix

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone on here ever fit a road chainset (square taper flavour, '94 105 in particular) to an MTB? What BB axle length does one need to keep the chainring off the chainstay?

mtbfix":6mjbc0ec said:
Anyone on here ever fit a road chainset (square taper flavour, '94 105 in particular) to an MTB?
Yes to a road chainset on an MTB, no to that particular model.

What BB axle length does one need to keep the chainring off the chainstay?
There are too many factors involved to give a simple answer. It depends on your frame, the chainrings you want to use, and the position you want to run them in. Sometimes you can get away with a spacer under the bottom bracket cup to shift everything rightward a couple of mm.

The simple method is to try an old, long bottom bracket from your parts bin, test-fit the cranks, take some measurements to make an educated guess at the ideal length, then adjust with a spacer if necessary.

You are absolutely right. Too many factors to count really. I've decided to just stick with a cheap old M440 crank for the time being as I already have 3 short axled BBs in the parts bin and no longer ones. It is for the work bike anyway.

Thanks for your help though.

Yup,i did and had no problems with it.
Though i ground the teeth off the outer to make a fancy[+cheap] ring guard
then ran a 1x8 set up

There's really only one factor to consider..... and you'll be fine as long as the BB spindle is the same size that Shimano engineered to work with that particular 105 crank.

Now chainring size and what Max differences your front and rear mechs will accept is another thing that needs consideration.

Lots of chain length and a chain guide allows for all sorts of weird ratios

mine was something like a 28t - 53t or 30t - 53t with a short cage rear mech.

UN72 113mm BB with early Shimano 600 chainset.

Have fun!

gm1230126":prcrassp said:
There's really only one factor to consider..... and you'll be fine as long as the BB spindle is the same size that Shimano engineered to work with that particular 105 crank.
Unless - for example - the spider makes contact with the chainstay. I've had that problem when fitting a set of road cranks to an mtb frame designed for compact rings.

The TA Alizé cranks on my Kilauea are fitted to the 116mm axle TA recommend for a road double, but I needed to add a 2mm spacer under the fixed cup to allow the spider to clear the frame, and there's still no room for an inner chainring. The biggest chainring I can fit in the outer position is 49t.

There are too many variables in frame design to simply follow the factory spec and hope for the best.

Back