A suggestion for regular users............

would you mind paying (supporting the site) to sell etc etc

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Enid_Puceflange

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Ok......
I frequent a few different websites for different hobbys/interests &
I'm well aware that these places dont run themselves and dont cost nothing.

Now what I'm throwing open to suggestion is this..........(dont know if it's been discussed before)
As this place is getting busier with members and the traffic on here higher & higher, the running costs must be costing somebody or people out of their own pocket??

One of the other sites I'm a member of, asks for a donation towards the running costs (server fees & the likes) in return for an upgraded account.
This account gives you access to. members vip lounge, discounts BUT ALSO only site supporting members can advertise in the buy and sell area.
This cuts out the dodgey folks scamming people as they seldome want to outlay to rip folk off.
You get a special wee "badge" attatched to your sig to show your a site supporter. and a sticker for your kit ie car window, bike,kit etc ,etc

Now the site I support and have been a member of for some time is
www.bmwland.co.uk , and another place im a member of but non supporting (I stopped playing some 5 yrs ago) is
www.p8ntballer.com (have a wee look at these places)
These sites have been running for years and seem to have the brotherhood going much the same as this place, but as this place is going and growing strong i personally dont feel a £10 or so donation towards the running costs would kill me. i KNOW this place is costing someone,(time and money) and seeing as i must spend 2hrs + a day on here,
I feel i owe it something back :cool:
Please dont "flame" its a suggestion

Please discuss.

Cheers

Gc

As a relative new member and someone who has had a lot from the site ,good rides new friends etc I wouldn't mind either,

I wouldn't mind either - but I don't think it's come to that yet. Besides it worries me it would put people off joining if there was a fee for the 'premium' areas. The vast majority of sales go through smoothly - we've got some pointers to help avoid dodgy deals (if you don't trust them, don't buy from them as in any walk of life - use your common sense - you can base this on numbers of posts, for example, if you like).

The site gets revenue from links to ebay - so just make sure you do that regularly and that will help.

So my answer is maybe, but not yet.

tumbleweed2.gif

;)

seriously though, some online forums build value and generate income with ad revenue based on traffic...I'm no expert, nut traffic is a good thing, and Retrobike does well for it's subject matter.

That said, I would gladly contribute to it. As is, I spread the retrobike gospel through nyc and the tri-state with decals/t-shirt/turning people onto the site via email/ads/posting on other forums regarding it.

does John know you made this thread?

Personal opinion is there should just be a donation button via something like paypal.

Plain and simple, of you can donate as such buying the merchandise and you then do a bit of advertising. But pure donation gets this place the most money.

Paying to advertise creates a business and I'm sure far more legal issues start to kick in. Plus you loose the passing trade.

I'd be happy to contribute if necessary but from previous threads i think john wants to keep the place free. We can help by clicking through on the on site adverts and buying the retrobike merchandise

Back