OK, I've now backed well away!

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
....have reached the end of my tether trying to get the Maxxis tyres to 'sit' correctly on my wheels, every swear word has been uttered. They've been taken off and put back on, talc'd, brute-forced, ridden half filled and so on. Now, before I take a kitchen knife to them, I will be popping to the Bromley Bike Co on Thursday night to get them to have a look at the damned things!

Never had this problem with Maxxis tyres pre-single casing........bloody hell indeed.

Was going to have a nice little pootle around Sydenham Woods this evening, the weather's bang on perfect. Alas it never happened!

:(

I have the same issue with my Maxxis Ignitors, I blow them up to about 60-65 psi, that normally pops them into place. You need a good track pump though. :shock:

I have got a good track pump and did indeed pump them right up - the rear tyre still shook my booty better than Beyonce!

LeeDevelopment":i5rjghnv said:
....have reached the end of my tether trying to get the Maxxis tyres to 'sit' correctly on my wheels, every swear word has been uttered. They've been taken off and put back on, talc'd, brute-forced, ridden half filled and so on. Now, before I take a kitchen knife to them, I will be popping to the Bromley Bike Co on Thursday night to get them to have a look at the damned things!

Never had this problem with Maxxis tyres pre-single casing........bloody hell indeed.

Was going to have a nice little pootle around Sydenham Woods this evening, the weather's bang on perfect. Alas it never happened!

:(

Ok, as a bike idiot who is still learning, what do you mean by "sit correctly" on your wheels?

And what's pre-single casing? You're gonna have to put it in complete layman's (or laygirl's in my case) terms by the way, or I'll just get confused!! Lol!! :oops:

OK - when you spin the wheel the tyre wobbles from side to side and won't go straight. Thus when you ride the bike your arse does a Beyonce impression down the street!

Maxxis used to be double ply - two layers of rubber if I'm correct, it's now single ply in order to save their company a lot of cash in the manufacturing process...which, I feel, is hindering the tyre being seated properly on the rims.

I had this on a Continental, but never on a Maxxis. I found that holding it in place while pumping it up worked. Get it to 10 psi and pull it around till it is seated correctly. Once you are happy with it, pump it up the rest of the way.

I pump them up to 20psi or so and gently gently ride them (dont pop the tube!) that squishes them all the way round and they seat properly...

Funny you say this, I've usually just fit and forget in the past but as I wanted to use my Muddy Fox on the road, I fitted available urban tyres to the skinny Mavics 'for the day' 1.75 continental city contact on the rear, and 2.2(!) DMR Moto on the front. checked Conti and it was up and down by a good few mm didn't matter what I did it only got marginally better. Then checked the DMR expecting this to be a nightmare compared to the conti being skinny and quality known tyre brand, and the DMR was perfect!!!! crazy :?

A few mm? I had about 1cm on mine! lol. TBH it was on my trials bike, so was a 2.3 on a 40mm ish wide rim, probably not the best combo, or what Conti had in mind when designing the tyre.

Back