Well that's me stopping using PayPal

desmobob

Old School Hero
After eBay bought PayPal gradually forcing customer of eBay to have to use PayPal I thought it was heading in a disastrous direction.

I'm sure anyone who has Goggled "Issues with PayPal" will be aware, PayPal do not have to answer to any financial regulatory body and as such you have no 'leg to stand on' should any discrepancies show up in the level of service you have received, legally or illegally.

After almost a month of telephone calls and daily email conversations and having just been on the end of a 40 minute telephone call to PayPal it's been brought to my attention that my bank account has been linked to someone else's PayPal account. Despite stupid quantities of emails received, PayPal's responses have all contained the same copied and pasted resolution which is to add another bank account. Despite my emails strongly suggesting that someone has possibly illegally associated my bank account with their PayPal account.

Now here comes the interesting part. While this was ongoing I thought I'd contact Customer Direct for some official advice. They inform me that if you read the Terms & Conditions for PayPal use you are basically wavering your rights to any form of regulatory support and therefore simply at the mercy of PayPal's own rules. PayPal is now registered in Luxemburg which interestingly now falls outside the jurisdiction of the Financials Services Ombudsman or any other recognised international financial ombudsmen authority.

Basically if you think your protected using PayPal, your very, very mistaken. If you get shafted by someone in China who's pretending to live in Leeds and own a small bathroom showroom you'll possibly get your money back. If however you've had your I.D cloned, not received an item and the other party insists that you have, it's left to the mercy of PayPal and no law is required to back either individual.

The company is a nightmare. I told them that they are C**TS after my cancelled a/c was still working!!! Don't go near this company :x

Yep - totally agree with you. Paypal is a huge pain in the arse and the automated responses make me see red.

I try not to use it but its really difficult not to...........

Aye, I had a reality check when the payment I sent for a frame while taking 'advantage' of Ebays 20% off effort. The payment bottlenecked at the vendors end while disappeared from my bank account, after various contacts from both of us to ebay/PP the only otion was to retract the payment and resend. Of course this meant my 'voucher code' was useless second time round and a stream of garbled responses to my complaints. :twisted: I put money back in my account and sent a cheque!

USELESS and con artists IMO in that case. As mentioned PP is hard to avoid in many cases here and ebay, so I still use it for small amouts but not on my Christmas card list at all.

PayPal Sucks Indeed.

It's a U.S site unfortunately, plus they also state that the Financial Services Ombudsman is the regulatory body and complaints should be sent there, (or somewhere else in California) - but I was informed by the UK D.T.I that the Financial Services Ombudsman no longer have any jurisdiction since they've legged it to Luxembourg. SCUM!

After a bad experience with Paypal, I don't keep my bank account linked to my account via Direct Debit. That stops them taking any cash out of my account without my say so - other than if my account was hacked.

i stayed well away from paypal for quite a while until i was sort of forced into using it for a purchase that i really wanted. but i use it as little as possible, mainly due to stories i have heard on here! so when i do use it it is for small purchases to people i trust through experience, that way i think it reduces the chance of me being done by them! (and by "them" i mean paypal)

ages ago my old boss got kippered by them but being a stubborn sod he just ignored the emails to the point that a bayliff got involved, strangely enough he was a pretty deacent guy and told us that he would never use paypal himself as, to use his words " they are c**ts". he said because they are a holding company they don't have to abide by the banking code that banks have to, not that banks are innocent at the moment either!!

The absolutely worst thing about Paypal though is the ease of the way the take money away from me in exchange for rubbishy old bike bits.

Back