al

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I need some help!

My Weber dcnf 40s are overheating (long story) I need to replace them with a pair of Dell 'Orto 36s.

Does anyone know of a good source for rebuilt dells?

I am running out of time to get my car sorted for a meet.

Any help would be ace!!

Cheers,Al :D

al":2c44le5g said:
I need some help!

My Weber dcnf 40s are overheating (long story) I need to replace them with a pair of Dell 'Orto 36s.

Does anyone know of a good source for rebuilt dells?

I am running out of time to get my car sorted for a meet.

Any help would be ace!!

Cheers,Al :D

Were ( i presume we are talking IDF 36) 36's specced on early 912's and late 356 porkers? Do you have a pair to refurb? If you have some already just buy rebuild kits and DIY- takes about an hour each if they are in decent condition (watch for wear in the bushes of the butterfly's spindle. If you don't have any its a case of eBay as i think the 36's are no longer available new, and the IDF can be quite pricey!!

Why are you going from a 40 to a 36? what are they going on and what do you meen when you say they are they overheating???

Hi,

Yes i am after a pair of IDF's. no i don't have a pair to refurb as that would be the easy bit!

Price isn't an issue, they just need to work well.

I am dropping from the 40's because they just have not been reliable and the 36's are a much better bet for my 1641 type 3 vw motor.

The reason for the overheating is partly the Carbs and the fact i have been using short manifolds as i would have clearence issues on the 'pancake' motor, as i want to keep things lokking stock.

I have been looking around and i have people on the lookout? But as with this kind of thing, when you need them they just seem to dry up!!

Cheers,Al. :D

blimey - when did we starting Greek around here?! :LOL:

Now I know what my wife must see when she looks over my shoulder at what I'm usually writing on here!! :LOL:

Just had a ring around my usual suppliers and IDF's are very hard to get hold of- there is not much in terms of rebuild kits around either and thats before we get into jets, venturi's etc etc.

The main distributor doesn't even have a single IDF part on its website although a phone call might help.
Personally i would do a bit of research and rebuild/ retune the 40's- if its running hot its probably running too lean, a 36 carb might even make things worse!- also have you checked your ignition timing and advance????
Work out the spec of your motor and then ask around for what size jets, venturi's you need for your 40's.
As a rough starter, for a 1641 motor (on the basis of one choke per cylinder)with a moderately tuned head and cam running to 6000rpm you will need..

34mm chokes
45 idle jet
7780.6 or 7850.2 idle jet holder
135 or 140 main jet
F15/7772.7 emulsion tube
155/160 air corrector jet
.3 auxiliary venturi
40 accelerator pump jet
1.75 needle valve
Set float level for around 15mm shut off/ 25mm full drop

Note these sizes are the 40DHLA sizes so cross reference for equivilent downdraught carb although they should be about right
Get it on the rollers with this set up and start from there.

Good luck!

si

As an afterthought, what fuel pump are you using?? I presume that you are having some hot starting trouble?? get a proper electric pump on it and try some heat shielding bellow the carbs

Si

I agree with DrS, we run Dellortos on one of the rally cars, and the spares are a right bugger to get hold of, whereas the Weber stuff is available anywhere.

Is there anyway you can get a wideband on it to see if it's running lean? Does it sound like there is any det? Plugs look ok?

Thanks for all the info. :D

The engine is a rebuilt one, so everything has been replaced and is running electronic ignition. The fuel pump is the original one that has been rebuilt. As everyting on the type motor is visible i wanted to have more of an 'oldspeed' look motor in the car.

As an aside in a casual converstion with Keith Sueme last week, i said about the DCNF's and the overheating problems and he said they never work on air cooled motors!!
Wish i had had that conversation a few months ago! :roll:

I know the 36's are a pain to get and are hard to maintain. But i have a man that does the fettlin' for me. ;)

Still want a pair of baby Dells . :roll: :D

Al, :D

Back