can someone reccomend me a bike lock?

bigdavevw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello!! im moving to glasgow soon and need a decent lock, for locking up my bike when im at college or in town. I would prefer a d lock or cable as the chain ones are heavy as buggery.

cheers
dave :cool:

Cable locks tend to be the easiest to cut. I use 2 Abus locks when out and about, one is a big bulky chain with built in lock, the other is an Abus Granite Xplus D lock which uses a square section "D" so that you need to cut it twice to remove it (round section D's you can cut once and rotate the remains to release.)

They are both Gold rated, the chain one cost me £90 and the Dlock £80.
I also have a £16 Abus cable lock that I use to lock my front wheel in place as an extra deterrant.

(Ofcourse none of that helps if the thieving scum breaks into you house and steals your unlocked bike, as they did with mine early on saturday morning.)

2s92lhc.jpg

dont forget a small bottle jack will see to most dlocks

try to leave it in visible places . no back alleys and for short periods of time . assume the next time you go to the bike it wont be there so dont leave a nice bike lying around

if someone wants it badly enough they are going to have it , simple as that . couple rasps with a hacksaw will cut through the frame in a matter of seconds . sure the frames scrap but the thief will just sell on the parts

if you look on youtube there are plenty of vids where someone locked their bike up in a crowded area then had a mate very blatently steal it . ive even seen one where a guy walked up with a generator and angle grinder . people looked but carried on walking past . even if someone did challenge the guy they only have to say its theirs ad they lost the key

ive noticed a bit of a trend in making niceish bikes look like heaps by covering them in crappy tape and cheap accessories

perry":2i82opit said:
dont forget a small bottle jack will see to most dlocks

Yep. Gold rating is almost meaningless - except for insurance purposes - it tests for high resistance for tools that a serious thief wouldn't use.

The two serious locking alternatives are a D used in such a way that there is no room for a bottlejack to go through it - perhaps a good mini-D - or a top end chain (heavy). The Fahgettaboudit Mini is supposed to be a great mini-D, but a reasonable chain and a reasonable D might be better, on the principle that few thieves bother carrying tools for both.

Good article: http://cycle.standard.co.uk/2009/02/my- ... ieves.html

Amusing and useful video: http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/hal ... e-locking/

Re. people cutting through the frame to grab a bike for the components: this is more a problem with bikes with high end components obviously! You can either keep your bike's gear very generic or ruin its resale value - deface logos with a dremel, dribble epoxy on rims and spray them - badly - with awful colours, write "Not for sale!" in permanent marker, etc. To reduce the resale value of a frame, spray or brush it with crappy paint - ideally in a distinctive pattern - and put lots of stickers on - thieves won't want to remove them.

I got a Trimble back after being stolen. And they had painted it PINK :roll:

If it's a good bike, it needs a chain. Get a motorbike-specific one, and use it properly.
Failing that, leave all your decent steeds at home and get a cheap bike for Glasgow.

remember the lock is only as good as what its locked to. i recently saw a bike locked to a plastic drain pipe :roll:

Ride a fixed gear and pray that someone nicks it then you can watch them pedal off, stop to freewheel, then simply walk over wetting your pants laughing at them having propelled themselves over the bars knocking their teeth out (saved you the bother) then simply pick your bike up and ride off smugly.

EDIT: I'm with Chris on the motorbike lock thing. I leave my lock chained up at work rather than carry it about.

Back