VRC ????

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just browsing on here as I'm off work sick and came across Johns links to this thread over at VRC

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=538367

Don't know what's going on over the 'pond' quite funny from an outsiders point of view on how stressed and angry some people get over bikes

This may have been discussed on here already and if so no probs, just a bit shocked at some peoples comments and thought I'd share.

Just go for a ride

:)

Gadro":9vhpz44q said:
just a bit shocked at some peoples comments and thought I'd share.

That's 'just another day at the office' at VRC...every now and again they'll quit fighting and post up some cool bikes but the latter is getting less and less these days :cry:

Sit back, leave them too it and be thankfull we reside in a generally more friendly corner of the interweb.

Carsten":340pzenx said:
Not sure if you followed how retrobike.co.uk developed over the years. There was NO resistance at all to keep things "clean". Only tolerance (i think it's just ignorance and carelessness) and that's how it looks like there now. 90% old junk, no passion, dumb questions, useless threads and even sub-forums for modern bikes and off-topic chat. Again, there's not a single person to define what is "clean" or crap nor should it be formulated. A healthy community with a sufficient amount of passionate regulars will balance it out

Nice fella :roll: , i'm quite happy with my junk, planning on buying lots more actually :LOL:

I've been on my holidays so have missed this thread dribbling away... In my view, there's really only one or two people who currently inhabit VRC who vigorously admit to taking great exception to the broad church approach to retro/vintage building/collecting/riding/reminiscing - as demonstrated here and elsewhere in Europe.

Somewhere in those beliefs, there's a sensible and well-meant debate about the roles of public forums and striving for common 'agreements' as to the 'standards' that people might go to, particularly in building a catalogue or period MTBs.

Sadly, those debates descend quickly into personal and inter-forum incite, not insight. We, as moderators, try to keep the Retrobike name away from such negative and futile slanging matches, however this has often proven difficult, as the name is sometimes used erroneously and libelously make 'points', usually by the same few guys.

Recently there has also been some willful or cultural confusion between 'passion' for what one might choose to restore and the level achieved and 'elitism', in relation to one's ability to complete the build to a certain standard before one might dare to show it online. This isn't the sort of debate that can be engaged in healthily on a public forum, as many examples of frothy vitriol will testify, however it's an itch some folks love to scratch!

Maybe some US-based builders and collectors fail to understand or recall that the European experience was built on an entirely different history - later in time and based on very different concepts of what an MTB was and how it should look. These days some view our fascination with period after-market items (particularly anything anodised!) with thinly-veiled disdain, as though this marked the end of the classic period of MTBs, or even worse, as though this activity did not actually happen. Again, another futile debate to have in a public forum...

The good news is that those few provocateurs now proclaim to hate 'Retrobike' so much that they wouldn't be seen dead reading this thread! ;)

I am sure that there are much better days around the corner - as both forums have a great deal to offer each other, not least in making friends (I got to ride Repack through VRC!), swapping knowledge and parts and generally keeping our shared enthusiasm alive.

Mr K

jimihendrix":39909h38 said:
[Quote Carsten] Not sure if you followed how retrobike.co.uk developed over the years. There was NO resistance at all to keep things "clean". Only tolerance (i think it's just ignorance and carelessness) and that's how it looks like there now. 90% old junk, no passion, dumb questions, useless threads and even sub-forums for modern bikes and off-topic chat. Again, there's not a single person to define what is "clean" or crap nor should it be formulated. A healthy community with a sufficient amount of passionate regulars will balance it out

personally i dont know carston..... but he has helped me out in the past with some bits i brought from germany, so i know he is willing to go out of his way to help people.... BUT ..... his comments do shock me a bit, not everyone can afford top line kleins etc etc.... and i dont see anything wrong with picking up a crap old bike and posting a pic with a few questions.... i think its a good thing !!!!!
as for the modern bike section .. well most of us have modern bikes.. granted i dont really look at the modern bike thread that much.. but its good its there if people want to have a look at it.
the off topic thread is allways good for a laugh or a bit of advice !! :)
and the effort that retrobike has put in with the archive is brilliant !!! :D
THATS EXACTLY WHY I POST HERE AND NOT ON VRC... as vrc is full of stuck up t**ts moaning about shit that really doesnt matter !!! :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL:

oh yer and rumphys comments........

"And if someone tries to strike up a convo with me about their Trek Antelope, I promise the look of absolute disgust and disinterest will be loud and clear on my face. If they ask me what I think of the bike, I'll tell them the truth. Yes, I'm a bike snob."

what a crap attitude !!! yea they are cheap bikes but so what ? if the owner likes it and rides it then thats brilliant.
i think he should take the S out of snob !!!! :LOL:

I've never looked at VRC, mainly because of what I've read about the bitching and 'handbags' over there.

All this keeping it 'clean' sounds a bit anal to me. But hay-ho, 'Horses for courses' and all that :cool:

thats funny jimi , i had a look at vrc once to see what all the fuss was about . all i saw were big wallets getting thrown around by people who want to be defined by their possessions not concerned with the actual pleasure of riding with people . what i find most amusing is it is in itself a subforum :LOL:

what makes retrobike great is its general inclusion of pretty much everything old in cycling . if something isnt to your taste you dont click on it and read . simple

It's good for Trimble gossip. But I do like the 'off topic' section.

Latest posts

Back