Asthma

legrandefromage":vjj03d0i said:
Who's got it - hows it been, mines been bloody rubbish this week....

Funny you should say that. I was wheezing away climbing the stairs at work and I'm loath to admit its because I'm getting older and fatter.

i was diagnosed with it at the start of my teens . although i pretty much never used the thing . looking back i might have just been too lazy to give a decent figure on the breath thingy :LOL:

Yeah, pretty poor. I get it quite bad during the summer, particularly when the pollen count is high. It means that during the nice weather when I want to be riding lots, I have to take it easier than I'd like but during the winter I can actually breathe and ride harder :roll:

I've had asthma since I was about 8 years old. It only gets really bad when my hayfever is bad (around about May/June) and when I'm near cats.
I use a salbutomal/ventolin inhaler and it sorts me out most of the time.
My asthma hasn't ever stopped me doing thousands of miles of biking each year and even running a few marathons.
I think the regular exercise really helps in combatting asthma by increasing lung capacity and encouraging controlled breathing techniques.

The only thing that pisses me off is having to pay the £7.20 prescription charge every time I need a new inhaler.

So in summary as long as I avoid cycling with cats in June I'm alright.

Me too :evil: I have exercise induced asthma, which as the name suggests only really bothers me at the start of a ride, a few hits on my inhaler sorts me out. I have noticed this week being wheezy just doing nothing and had to pop the inhaler out whilst having a laughing fit the other night.
I feel for people who have the proper hard core asthma though, a friend of mine has it bad, smokes and has now got swine flu. Glad i'm not him ;)

My asthma only becomes noticible if I get a chesty cough. However, this week my chest has felt tight, perhaps it's swine flu? No craving for Pork Scratchings yet ;)

As I've had it all my life, I'm used to it and usually have a puff after the first mile of a ride, I often ride through astham attacks! ;)

theres always a few weeks in July when the weather and tree pollen combine to leave me a wheezing wreck.

I too have exercise induced asthma. first few miles mean lots of wheezing and phlegm which settles if its not hilly. I also suffer on hills, esp if I have to get out of the saddle. Its not too bad if I can remain seated and control the breathing. Bit frustrating cos people i know I can hammer can leave me on steep hills, which are quite frequent in the peak district.
Someone asked me what it feels like and best analogy I can think of is a mosquito net in the throat. Air can pass through, but inhaling and exhaling feels restricted. The body cant supply enough oxygen to the legs which feel fresh. After about 60 miles, things seemed warmed up tho' and I can at last get some effort from my chest.

Still, gotta crack on with it - at least I'm getting out and having fun and have no real asthma attack type scares. I see people every day I wouldnt wanna swap health/mobility with.

Went to the docs a few years ago, who explained the mechanics, but wont go again cos I have real (seriously) doctor/hospital phobia. daft I know, but cant help it.

Back