Go on then... (ss content)

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
... name me an inexpensive yet usable SS specific hub for my Dynatech project. Needs to have 135mm spacing, and be available in 36h, and be cheap like its owner. :oops:

Why do you want a singlespeed specific hub?
Do you mean ones that take a freewheel?
I'm not sure I would recommend them. A 'normal' hub with spacers does the job. Ideally with a stainless steel freehub as a single cog can chew up an alloy body....or use a good quality cog with a wide base.
This set-up will give you greater flexibility regarding your chain-line.
The Hope singlespeed/trials hub is great.
Cheers
Carl

An old Hope screw-on hub works well, but you have to dismantle it and fit the axle the opposite way round to tidy up the chain line.
Very light and effective though!
It also builds into a wheel with reverse dish, where the drive side spokes have least tension, which should make for a strong wheel.

the dmr and onones are the exact same hub , shipped in from taiwan , i used to have the address for the site , they did all kinds of things very cheap

im surprised the freewheel/cassette thing hasnt come up before

with a make shift hub the flanges are close together as there used to be 9 sprockets where you are now putting 1 . so the wheel is weaker than it needs to be . a freewheel is nice and narrow so the hub can be made with flanges wide apart making a strong wheel . then theres the actual mechanism . when you use a hub that used to have gears you often end up putting the sprocket about an inch away from the pawls and ratchet whereas with a freewheel they are directly under it so there is no chance of flex or twisting that adds wear and will eventually skip which is my next point . when my freewheel feels worn or even skips once ill unscrew it and throw it away , go to the shop and buy another acs for a tenner . when your old geared hub has worn or is skipping you have to decide whether or not its worthwhile sending it off to have a new ring gear ( thats what ive decided to call the toothed ring that is press fit in the hub shell :LOL: ) and pawls put in . so theres the price of a hub service , if its economically viable , if the hubs cheap its new wheel time . theres also the problem of the sprocket digging into the freehub unless you buy an expensive one that is wide . thats a big cost for something that isnt as well suited as something thats available cheaper

chris theres a dmr hub on the bay at the moment sans disc mount as thats how they came when they started selling them in around 2001 . its 32 hole though and postage is over £9 which i see as a bit much for something that size and weight

sure bmx has gone cassette hub but they break easily . i remember kye telling me years ago not to buy a profile hub and he was sponsored by them :LOL:

Really, I just want one because I have an unused Shimano BMX freewheel in the parts bin, and I need a new hub, and they're something I've never tried before. Previous SS attempts have always inolved spacers on an 8 speed cassette hub.

I think a screw-on freewheel and hub looks neatest!
I know the rest of the bike is shonky and needs a repaint....I just can't bear to stop riding it!

Attachments

• hope screw-on hub.JPG
    hope screw-on hub.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 895
I know the feeling - a 42 / 21 would be a much better way to go than 32-16 as it would reduce chain tension and wear. 21T is always listed but generally seems to be an 'order it in' job.

Back