Dremel

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well it's time for me to start using this on some bike parts, I have some M900 levers that have been waiting 16 years for me to cut the shifter hanger off and groove the clamps.

I don't mind using it on wood, general metal and plasterboard or just hacking at things.
But I have loads of bits that I don't really know what they are best at doing. I have the booklet that came with it but that's really just pretty pictures.

So are the any good websites with nice how too and what to use for what and best way to grind/polish/etch/.. etc ?

I think they try to suppress any user info. This means that the tools wear out very quickly, through mis-use, and you have to spend a small fortune to replace them. Not that I am speaking from bitter experience or anything.

ive spent some time looking for you to no avail . ive even tried metacrawler but like google it just gives sites trying to sell dremels even if you only use words like rotary tool . all i can suggest is finding a site or forum that caters to modelers and hobbyists or maybe hit lucky with a blog

for what youve described id use a hacksaw and a few files . to groove the clamps id put them on a set of old bars you dont need anymore and cut straight in with the hacksaw and widen out with a file . on an old lever to practice first of course

Yup, as above, hacksaw and files primarily. . .
For info- the grinding wheels, ferrous (steel) only. Ally as used for most bike parts will clog these. Same with the cut-off wheels> although the fibre reinforced ones will do Al ok.
For genral ally wizardry, you need carbide "burrs". These look like little milling cutters, and are pretty cool. And expensive and will wear out quickly if you start using those on steel.
Its a great tool for a job, and that job isn't rapid netal removal. Its a fine die-grinfing tool, for gental tickling and working on a fine scale. But I wouldn't be without mine ;)

just remembered a good tip i saw . to stop the collet coming into contact with whatever delicate bit your working on and ruining it put a hole in a plastic cap and put that over it

cotton buds can be used to do intricate polishing

elite504":2n0juk2w said:
...for gental tickling and working on a fine scale.

A dremel is the last thing I'd have thought of, those attachments look nasty :shock: ...ah sorry "gentle" ;)

They do rubber wheels with grit impregnated into them,Amazing for polishing,very gentle even when hard pressure is used

I was thinking of only using the dremel for the fine finishing details and polishing :)

Like above googles a pain for finding something when there are lots of for sales etc..

Maybe do a little milling as I do have a few of these..

Unfortunately I don't have anything I don't need to test on first :shock:

Something for later though as I have a large odd shaped decking to build first.

from personel expierence PLEASE wear safety glasses when using cut off wheels,reinforced or not...... :roll: :!:

Back