Taking decent photos of bikes. Your tips (and results).

Great idea :)

I've only taken one good bike photo in my life, and i'm pretty sure someone who knows better can point out a long list of things that are wrong (and not just the modern tyres).

DSC00655.jpg

Indeed its all about the setting. My favourites are close ups against grass, overall shots against stone/rendered walls in bright sunlight in order to catch the shadows. Take a million shots from slightly different angles then when back home spend the evening chosing your faves.

I like this shot but I couldnt get it right without getting run over (by another cyclist)

oooh_luvverly_norman_889.jpg

My angles need to be straight, the bike needed to be level and off slightly to right/left to make the composition right.

This beach one took ages to set-up, wanted to do it without the rucksack but the wind wasnt quite strong enough to hold the bike up:

abcd0001_159.jpg

This shot is great, probably my best, but generally I have problems, either getting them in focus or fitting the whole bike in whilst still showing the details.

Plain background deffo helps as does shooting in shadow.

elite1_176.jpg

I try to use a tripod where possible[ok not an easy thing to carry around]but if im taking them at home,thats what i like to use.
The problem these digital cameras share is its stabiliity,conquer that and its a breeze
I then take about 30 pics using different settings with and without flash/macro etc
Then i go through them all picking the best

When im outside i set the camera up on a flat surface and use the timer countdown

I guess moving to where hairstream lives isn't a helpful tip :roll:

Back