wireless internet

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Just moved in to new place. But noticed the wireless strength was going up and down worse than a whores knickers. one second max strength then 0. then max but no picture or took a very long time to show a picture.
The last time it was this bad even worse it was because the next door neighbor was a iT 'expert' and was playing with the modem.
Oh it's tiscali now. And a max of 5 people connected. The other place had 7 max connected. Not tiscali. Or is it that tiscali doesn't like my Mac. The others are pc. While I was having all the problems. The GF pc was working smooth.
We have the option of getting our own internet and plugging it in via a good ol ethernet cable :cool:

I had problems with wireless broadband when I first installed it in my house. Apparently, the wireless frequency can be switched to one of a selection of different "channels". Once I changed the "channel" on my router, the wireless worked perfectly.

I don't know why that worked, but I know that my neighbour has a wireless router. So I guess that I was sharing the same channel with my neighbour, and the two routers were cancelling each other out.

Wireless always seems to have one problem or other regarding signal/crossed lines etc,then theres the security implications :shock:

I'd stick to down the wire type
Far less hassles :cool: ,far more secure

Change you channel to a higher one, as the default setting is usually 1 and can cause interference with other wirless routers.

Also, you can get inteference with all sorts fo thins such as DECT phones etc.

If you feel up to it you can upgrade the router with something like dd-wrt: http://www.dd-wrt.com. Works fine for me, but it's a bit techie ;)

if router working fine on all other pc's will probably be something cross platform causing issues what router is in use do you know

wireless shouldn't have anything to do with your service provider :?
you are just connecting "wirelessly" to your router, which in turn is connected to your modem (could be the same unit nowadays) which is connected to your service provider, so if a wired connection on the same router has no problems then it's something else, like channel settings (there are 12 to choose from), or range, but that has nothing to do with what service provider you are with.

It's like blaming ford that your petrol car runs poo after you put chip fat oil in it :D

It's a thompson router. There 3 pc's an two Mac's in the house and i'm the only one will problems. :evil:
And yes it is plugged in :LOL:
How do I change the channel ?

dyna-ti":gff6613w said:

It's also faster. ;)

I tried wireless here and it was like using a Pentium 75 to run XP. It turned out that there's too many users around me. When you pull up the "connect to a network" dialogue I regularly had 10-15 other networks in range! :shock:

dyna-ti":cf7oh1xr said:
To be honest, even after I'd sorted my wireless hassles out, I went back to using ethernet. I don't know how easy it is to connect on a modern version of Windows (it used to be a complete b*stard with Win9:cool:, but with a Mac, you plug in the cable that connects to your router and in less than 10 seconds the Mac has made friends with the router, sorted out network IDs /IP addresses and given you internet access.

Back