Pedals for commuting

Hilts

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Want to use my road bike for commuting but not with SPD shoes as I have to walk a fair bit the other end. However, when i take it for a spin at weekends i want to be able to use SPD's without having to continually change the pedals...

So, which pedal should I get, I figure I have two options:

1) SPD in a resin body (a la Shimano M424)

Or

2) Flat pedal one side, SPD the other (a la Shimano M324)

Anyone got any experience of doing this as able to advise which is better?

I am pretty sure you can buy plastic plates to fit your SPD pedals , transforming them into flat pedals .
just remove them at the week end to go riding .

what is wrong with your commuter bike ?

cchris2lou":3iq6263b said:
I am pretty sure you can buy plastic plates to fit your SPD pedals , transforming them into flat pedals .
just remove them at the week end to go riding .

That's what I used to do for cruising around.. Although I did SPD it to work..

I like the SPDs with the metal cage, don't know the M# but here they are on my Uzzi..

Attachments

• Cagey.jpg
    Cagey.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,302
Had a quick search on CRC and cant find them .
the shop you took me had a good range of stuff , you should ask them .

SPD plates

I use these plates for ordinary shoes quite happily- they came with the pedals, and have reflectors attached (which I assume is the main reason for shimano including them, handy even using SPD shoes if you're riding at night)- I'd reckon a fair amount of them get binned or never used, so you could have a general beg on the MTB boards, or even see if your shop has some surplus to requirements.

*Just dug out some paperwork- they are SM-pd22 reflectors.*

Cheers,
Dav

*PS- Check: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-M505-...0QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36137QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SPDs with reflectors for a tenner

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back