'Regular' canti's for CX set up request

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hello out there, need some more help here. I've been reading the reviews of the Avid Shorty canti's and most say they squeal to buggery. Can any of you chaps suggest an alternative set up that are not based around the frog-leg design please?

Ta.

LeeDevelopment":2nxguynb said:
Hello out there, need some more help here. I've been reading the reviews of the Avid Shorty canti's and most say they squeal to buggery. Can any of you chaps suggest an alternative set up that are not based around the frog-leg design please?

Ta.

Use different pads.

Frogglegs are they way forward....man.

OK, will look into them then, the bike however is going to be predominantly used as a commuter, so I need to be able to 'stop' easily as opposed to just scrubbing speed off gently!

Just sold my froggslegs,I thought they were pretty poor quality and difficult to adjust,although they worked well enough,just stuck some NOS Onza HO's on for now,wonder if they'll last long enough while a new set of Kore cantis arrive?!

you could give the paul cx brakebooster a try. i use it on my commuter with onza HOs and they stopped sqealing. performace increased too.

MJN":2efu2ewm said:
Just sold my froggslegs,I thought they were pretty poor quality and difficult to adjust,although they worked well enough

I concede that they are difficult to adjust if big tools and adjusting in a more "traditional" (ie bending them) kind of way isn't your thing.

And they are more "hard" in their general feel.

I suppose it depends what you are trying to achieve with them. I like them as there's loads of mud clearance - the pads rest a few millimeters further away from the rims which is why the Avid Shortys had to come off.. But if the bike's never going to get the kind of use where mud clogging is an issue, then you might want a more "modern" brake with a more snappy feel.

Alternatively stay with the retro theme and dig out some Old Shimano or Campag pre-low profile cantis....

dbmtb":397bpkfe said:
MJN":397bpkfe said:
Just sold my froggslegs,I thought they were pretty poor quality and difficult to adjust,although they worked well enough

I concede that they are difficult to adjust if big tools and adjusting in a more "traditional" (ie bending them) kind of way isn't your thing.

And they are more "hard" in their general feel.

I suppose it depends what you are trying to achieve with them. I like them as there's loads of mud clearance - the pads rest a few millimeters further away from the rims which is why the Avid Shortys had to come off.. But if the bike's never going to get the kind of use where mud clogging is an issue, then you might want a more "modern" brake with a more snappy feel.

Alternatively stay with the retro theme and dig out some Old Shimano or Campag pre-low profile cantis....

Agreed they were good in the mud,the Kore brakes that will be fitted before winter are an old style canti but with easy pad adjustment,it made me cringe adjusting the frogglegs with an 8" adjustable!

Back