Children on bikes...

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
..as a passenger, when did you starting taking the kids out for rides? And what type of seat systm did you use? And anything else you'd care to mention on the subject. :)

At 6 months, strapped into a child car seat in a trailer.

Rule zero, not before a baby has very good head control. In general, mine liked riding in the trailer for say 10 miles by 1 year old, usually they were asleep most of the time.

At 4-5 we moved them onto the back of the tandem, initially not on roads in case they did something daft.

At around 6 months in a secure child carrier/seat fixed to my seat post (I had full suss). The child is strapped in with a 3 point harness and I ensured they had a helmet on too. As long as they have head control they're old enough. As above - most of the time they fell asleep!

No kids ,but mates do
My mate Kev used to carry round one of his kids on the bike
He had a wee saddle that clamped onto the toptube,so the kids can hold onto the bars and a wee footrest type thing onto the downtube for their feet

Quite cute really :D

I think the kids were about 5 or 6 at that time

I had an OK Baby sirius kiddie seat, So good I had 2, My boys loved it, It has a quick relase bracket that means you can ride the bike without the seat by easiliy removing.

http://www.cycleshopping.co.uk/acatalog ... iner_.html

This was 5 years ago and was the best at the time for saftey and functions, a reclining one is well worth it as they will fall a sleep and tend to slouch forwards, relicining makes it a bit more comfy for the nippers !

:cool:

A mate of mine put his sprog in a back-pack type carrier and rode the trails at Coed-y-Brenin :shock:

About 5 years later we were riding again (he had a big 'rest') and he said, you know now I'm older I realise taking the nipper around here was a bit daft! :roll:

It's a while ago but I think ours was about 18 months old before he went in a seat on the back of a bike.

Thanks folks,lots of good stuff :D shes just over 9 months and is fine for short durations in the backpack(whilst walking) so the next step was to try some bike rides.

Please keep it coming :)

Back