Mmmm...pretty bad clamping marks on Carbon bars

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
:shock: :shock: Jeez...just look at what has happened here...never seen this before. Whats going on here :? Looka like a ruined set of £80 bars :x
Ebaystuff1377.jpg

Ebaystuff1378.jpg

Ebaystuff1376.jpg

i'd second that. if you already feel they are written off remove the decal or whatever it is and i bet they are fine underneath

IIrc Bontrager/Trek bars have re-enforcement there and also have a thicker layer of resin.

It looks like the bars should be OK but as said before, remove the decal and check underneath.

I agree it just looks like the coating. You've obviously been riding so fast that you've melted the coating :LOL:

It looks like that "plasticote" stuff has been put on them :shock:

I wouldn't expect that of an £80 bar, though it's probably on there so it's sacrificial and supposed to behave in exactly that way - the coating deforming rather than cracking the carbon weave.

Did you use the right torque setting?

Thanks for all your replies chaps.

Did you use the right torque setting?

I didn't fit these bars...the stem wasn't excessively tight when I removed the bars though.
I might have a hack at it tomorrow. but surely buy removing what was there it will take it away from 31.8?

:shock: Sod getting carbon

I'll stick to allloy thanks

How about wrapping the area under the clamp with some thin metal sheeting,it might spread the load a bit better :?

Looks like the 70 in.lbs may have been exceeded ;) Or they have got HOT!

Should be fine though, I wouldn't remove any of the coating, use carbon assembly gel on refitting though and keep an eye on them.

Back