best manchester bike shop for a new lid?

tozi321

Dirt Disciple
Tried this post on bike radar-no result-maybe posted in wrong place-any road-can anyone advise me,off to manchester to see my daughter and reckoned there might be more choice of shops to check out helmet types and fits-any recommendations pleeeease?

Thanks for that Purplefrog.The arguments for/against/compulsory/voluntary wearing of helmets are many,and often academically interesting.For me the helmet is a part of the ritual of getting my kit on,a sort of talisman I suppose,individual choice is surely the most important factor in such a controversal area-long may it be so.

Make sure you get the one that fits the best, an ill fitting helmet is not good.

Giro, Bell, Met... all worth trying as they all differ in shape

cheers Andy.Like the look of the giro-have to check the fitIntrigued by your cycle business! Are you old-bike friendly? and how near do you ever get to woodhall:

tozi321":64ctxbt4 said:
cheers Andy.Like the look of the giro-have to check the fitIntrigued by your cycle business! Are you old-bike friendly? and how near do you ever get to woodhall:
The Giro Hex is a highly regarded helmet, it's approx £50, or if you want to spend a bit more the Xen is the daddy (~£100)

Yes I am old bike friendly, was servicing an old ladies touring bike yesterday & have recently serviced a retro Reynolds framed Dawes hybrid, dripping with XT, I'll even service the dreaded BSO's ;)

I'm based in Grimsby, which Woodhall do you mean?

Cornholio..spicy hut....mmmmm- thanks for that bit of friendly advice-ain't this forum the best?
Sorry Andy should have said woodhall spa-near horncastle-but often up louth/grimsby way visiting rellys (hope i haven't got a bso though 'fraid i dunno what that is :oops: ).Also cheers for the thought on the giro.

tozi321":3gcaivii said:
Cornholio..spicy hut....mmmmm- thanks for that bit of friendly advice-ain't this forum the best?
Sorry Andy should have said woodhall spa-near horncastle-but often up louth/grimsby way visiting rellys (hope i haven't got a bso though 'fraid i dunno what that is :oops: ).Also cheers for the thought on the giro.

Ahh, not that far from me then, I work full time in Louth & live in GY, I do The Cycle Doctor part time for now, hopefully it will pay the bills further down the line though

A BSO is a Bicycle Shaped Object, much like the lower end crap you find in Halfords/Tesco & various catalogues

No prob, the Xen & Hex get great user & magazine reviews I've not used them though as Met helmets fit me, I'm currently using a Kaos.

Edinburgh Co Op is worth a visit, not specially independent but a great shop i keep supporting, some good guys in there and a good range of stock.
Bicycle Doctor round teh corner Rusholme-Fallowfield, must say its a bit wierd in there, but woorth a look, always a proper bike to be found in or out of there. Boring old Evans is in town and at Trafford centre I believe, and check out North West MTB shop in stockport area. Loads of new skool bits n bobs, and very high end wow bikes, but again, OK, maybe a tad wierd/scene. Whatever I say, i'll be keeping buying from all of these occasionally :)

Latest posts

Back