Modern roadie question... 9speed/10 speed compatibility

The Ken

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Can I use a 10 speed chain on 9 speed cassette? or a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed crank rings? (All Shimano)

I am looking at 9 speed shifters on ebay, but I have bought 10 speed deraileurs and cranks. The cost of 10 speed stuff seems to go through the roof and I need to keep the budget down.

This roady stuff costs way more than MTB!

thanks in advance.

The Ken":txs0mpva said:
Can I use a 10 speed chain on 9 speed cassette? or a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed crank rings? (All Shimano)

I am looking at 9 speed shifters on ebay, but I have bought 10 speed deraileurs and cranks. The cost of 10 speed stuff seems to go through the roof and I need to keep the budget down.

This roady stuff costs way more than MTB!

thanks in advance.

9 speed chain on a 10 speed chainring no worries, I use an 8 speed chain on 10 speed rings on my main road bike. I don't think you can use a 10 speed chain on a 9 speed casette/ chainrings, someone here please feel free to shoot me down if I'm talking gibberish.

Not sure how that combo would work ken but I have used 10spd derraileurs with 9 spd drivetrain and shifters and it worked ok but not great. Either go one or the other IMHO.

I concur. I don't think a 10 speed chain will work very well on a 9 speed cassette but a 9 speed chain will work on a 10 speed set of chainrings. I think that the mechs will work on either 9 or 10 speed shifters.

SP

it would be a 9 speed cassette and chain and 10 speed everything else I would be using, 10 speed STI units are above my price range for now so I am looking at using second hand 9 speed shifters for now and upgrading later in the year/next year to the better stuff.

I didn't win them anyway, missed them because I was half watching Murray at wimbledon :), I'll try and find 10 speed STI but I'm not hopefull with my budget :cry: ...I'm already using a 1960's gb Bar and stem and an XT hollowtech BB.... along with quite a few bits of Ultegra SL because I liked the colour. :oops: ....Starting to realise where my budget went, I should have got a bike with downtube shifters :)

Specifically I remember the front derraileur requiring trimming all the time as you moved up and down the cassette. It was if the gate was just too neat for the 9spd chain. I was in a similar position, moving some 9speed stuff to a new frame which was going to be upgraded to 10 eventually.

I'm going completely modern on the gazelle, I want to ride the etape caledonia next year so I feel I want to get used to parts I can replace easily if required.

I also think taking my hands of the bars to use barcons might feel a little twitchy after being used to the swanning feeling you get from wide flat bars.

I'm also holding a what little budget I have left to buy wheels as my old dura-ace tubs I got from john are beyond repair, the hubs are still good but it doesn't look like enough gears for me nowadays.

If budget allows try to get 9spd Dura Ace,its still my favorite groupset ever,loverly cranks and the STIs are perfect.I always look forward to using the winter bike :oops: I have 10spd DuraAce and Sram Force and TBH the 9spd stuff is still tops :cool:

the narrow 9spd chains work fine on 7/8spd cassettes - front rings dont seem to care what the chain is. Rear mechs seem to work universally from about 1988 onwards.

Back