Aaaarrrrggggghhh!!! Stupid pedals!

Xesh

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Got the slight problem of a seized up pedal axle in my Turbine LPs. :evil:

I only put the thing in about 4-5 weeks ago and now I can't get it out. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I greased the threads and it went in all the way by hand and I just nipped it up with a 6mm allen key. The pedals are Crank Brothers Candys with the chromoly axle.

I've tried everything and they won't budge! Now the stupid allen fitting on the back has rounded off but my key is OK!!?? :? I've also got a couple of dings in the crank arm from trying to shock it loose. I've taken the pedal body off and clamped the axle in a vice and still no go. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've even tried heating the crank arm but it still won't come off.

Why couldn't Crank Bros put flats on the axle instead of relying on a wimpy allen key? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

take the body back off.use a pipe wrench ...not a vice or pliers they dont grip as wel......put a small fine grain sand paper betwixt the contact area and then un screw ...plus use penetrating oil before you do this on the threads......this will do it i promise....never failed yet ...even on capri water pumps :shock:

not to gloat but i never put grease on pedals , just a dab of loctite and ive never had a problem with my own stuff :p

other peoples shit is another matter :x

leave it sat in diesel for a week

if that doesnt help get a mate with a mig to weld a bit or steel bar to it , just try not to snap it :LOL:

if it still doesnt budge get an engineer to drill out on a press from behind the crank , should relieve the force on the arm

Try an impact driver (not an air one) if you can secure the crank solidly enough. That often does the trick.

You REALLY sure about screwing it the correct way :?: :shock:

Think clearly now :LOL: LHS=loosens to the right. (I'm sure you know this already)

Funilly enough I had difficulty shifting pedals last week - - took huge torque with me standing on one wrench whilst Mrs P put all her weight on the other pedal.

Mr Panda":347nzalx said:
Think clearly now :LOL: LHS=loosens to the right. (I'm sure you know this already)

I should do as I've been a bike shop mechanic for nearly 20 years now. ;)

It's on the driveside so it undoes in the normal direction (anti-clockwise).

I 've had an eggbeater pedal stuck like that on a used bike I bought. In fact the thick end of the pedal axle had split down the middle in 2 halves (axially). When applying torque to undo it the two halves twist, the fracture edges protrude and bite themselves into the crank. Bugger ...

I did get help in the form of an automotive engine shop, they deal with stuck/broken studbolts a lot. Eventually they got the b#$@rd out with heat, brute force and I think a pipe wrench applied to the pedal axle (teeth marks). Money well spent as they saved the high end Race Face crank.

It appeared the cracking started in one of the hex edges of the allen fitting. I never felt the love for the egg beaters as they press into the sole of my shoes. The candy (or basically anything with a body) should do better, but this incident turned me right off them and I went back to my 545's.

Keep at it eventually it will give. If your problem is a split axle too find a way of minimising the twisting/biting.

Good luck

Xesh":241yjna1 said:
Mr Panda":241yjna1 said:

I should do as I've been a bike shop mechanic for nearly 20 years now. ;)

Your not at ........Halfords, are you :?: :shock:

Sorry - cheap jibe to cheer you up at this time of frustration :D
Seriously hope you get it sussed soon - its an absolute beeatch when the simplest task turns into an epic mechanical episode. For some reason it usually involves fastners of one sort or another, bolts/spindles whatever :evil: :evil:

Mr Panda":i50ffnxo said:
Your not at ........Halfords, are you :?: :shock:

I did say bike shop, not a wannabe. ;)

@ IbocProSX: There's no obvious signs of cracks.

I'm taking it down the shop tomorrow where there's a big arse vice so I'll see how it goes. If that doesn't work then I'll have to see about getting it drilled out. :roll:

Latest posts

Back