paypal email SCARED

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
ive just had 2 emails from paypal,apparently requesting i update my personal account info.i states if i dont do it within 24 hours my account will be suspended!!

it looks a bit iffy tbh,wondered if anybody else has had owt similar?

this is what ive been sent

Dear valued PayPal member:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal® account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.
Please update your records in maximum 24 hours.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal® session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.
To update your PayPal® records click on the following link:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account
is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product
updates when you create your account. To modify your notification
preferences and unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI
and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings
and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not
wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to
http://removeme.providian.com.
Copyright© 2009 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks
and brands are the property of their respective owners.

its from Staff PayPal (info@hi5.com) doesnt seem right,i havent clicked on anything cos i dont trust it but just wondered,hopefully this might stop others getting screwed

tell them to get stuffed and send the email to paypal when you log in .make sure https and the padlock are displayed before you type ya number and pass word in.

Log in to Paypal (NOT using that link but just go to www.paypal.com) and see if it asks you to update any info once you're logged in safely. If there aren't any messages in there I would have thought you'd be OK.

Back from the Pines already? :D

cheerrs,nowt in my paypal so ill report it

yup back from pines,was a good blast tbh,chain snapped going up hill sprinting which was nice,ill posta pic n lil review later,got a few "things " to whine about lol ;)

omg,sorry but this is the sort of spam that caught people out 5 years ago ,im amazed they still send them in the hope of catching someone out :roll:

I got the same, but when I logged into paypal (independant of the link) I was asked to update. I still wouldn't use the link though, as the gypsies and gangsters have probably already copied any legit update mails from paypal.

DO NOT reply to it. I've had a few like this and deleted them asap without opening them. If Paypal contact you they ALWAYS start with Dear (your name), etc. And they don't ask for you to update personal info unless you log into your account through their official site.

xizang":irdyqzmr said:
DO NOT reply to it. I've had a few like this and deleted them asap without opening them. If Paypal contact you they ALWAYS start with Dear (your name), etc. And they don't ask for you to update personal info unless you log into your account through their official site.

and they DONT give any links in thier emails...

Sound advice. I remember discussing with a colleague of mine (we were both web developers back in the day) that phishing emails were rubbish: there weren't any logos, spelling mistakes everywhere, even the URLs weren't very imaginative (eg www.yourbank.com.thisisascam.com)

Roll forward a bit and they're looking pretty convincing in some cases

The basic rule is anything asking you to confirm your account details is a scam. 999 times out of 1000 you can ignore them.

What they're doing here is overloading the URL, so it shows www.paypal.com but the address will actually point to their own site, so the HTML will look a bit like this

<a href="www.scammerscum.com">www.paypal.com</a>

A quick test is to check the address that shows in the bottom left of your browser when you hover the mouse over the link - if it doesn't show the site you're expecting, steer clear. In the above example, it will show www.scammerscum.com. I have a feeling this can be overridden, too, so it's not fool proof.

As others suggest, the best way to access your account is to type the address in yourself

Good spot on the "from" address on your paypal spoof email. Although, it is possible to set the from address to be anything.

oh, and on a final note, if you do click on the link they send you, expect more emails like it. If the scammer has any sense, each link sent out will be individual and associated with an email address. So if they send you an email and you click it, they know that your email address is active, and you're the kind of guy to click on the links.

Back