Help where do i start

rojo

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi everyone as alot of you know that i am going to build a bike for the first time, i am hoping to swap my bike i am using at the moment to get the last of the bits i need for the bike build. The frame has been powder coated, so is ready to go just got to put decals on. The thing is once i have all the bits where do i start??? I don't want to f up.

I start with bottom bracket, cranks, rear mech, front mech, headset, forks, handlebar, gear levers, brake levers, seat post, wheels then leave the brakes, brakes set up and gear set up until last.

I'd go for that order too. Get the BB and headset/forks on. Fit the stem and rear mech and the rest all happens as you get to it.

I'd sit at your computer in the knowledge you have a bike to build up, ponder if you should fit the bottom bracket or headset first or maybe tinker putting some alu bolts/end of bic pens into the rack/bottle holes.... See a nice frame, impule buy and then ....

Take their advice.

though I wouldn't put the cranks on so soon. BB & Headset first, chainrings damage the laminate flooring in the kitchen ;)

Pipe lagging!!
I tape foam lagging around main frame before doing anything. It's a total bummer chipping or dinging a frame when building.
I know cos I was that man.
Your starting order also sounds good to me.

Thanks for tips, do i need special tools for putting different parts on the bike??

Headset will be you most difficult place as you need to press the cups in.
Either a make shift pressing tool (threaded bar and large washers with nut to toighten it) or block of wood and hammer or large vice or .. very expensive proper tool (or LBS)

Bottom bracket needs a special tool.
Cassette needs special tool.
Chain needs special tool.

Cables need cutting well (dremel is good for the outers if your cutter cannot cut it)

Screwdrivers, allen/hex/star (forgot name) keys...
if about all you need.

extras include....coffee lots of it,biccies,choccie,m&ms,plasters ,a big hammer(for when u snap),peace and quiet,a decent bike stand,spare screws(to combat fridge suck) and no kids.. :LOL:

FluffyChicken":2nu3vzzo said:
Headset will be you most difficult place as you need to press the cups in.
Either a make shift pressing tool (threaded bar and large washers with nut to toighten it) or block of wood and hammer or large vice or .. very expensive proper tool (or LBS)

Bottom bracket needs a special tool.
Cassette needs special tool.
Chain needs special tool.

Cables need cutting well (dremel is good for the outers if your cutter cannot cut it)

Screwdrivers, allen/hex/star (forgot name) keys...
if about all you need.

Sugar where best to get these special tools??

Cassette tools can be picked up at the larger music stores, HMV and the like still offer C90 stuff.... :roll:

Nope like anything bike related, a bike shop/internet site/sale is a better place to start. ;)

Back