Half link chain.. and singlespeed questions

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
Hi guys,

looking to set up a single speed bike for a friend , not really sure what I need (or dont) ..
He does'nt want a chain tensioner on the bike so thought about using a half link chain,.. :idea:

Now the bike will be set up using a sprocket from either a 7 or 9 spd cassette and spacers and a single 8/9 speed front chainring..

Could someone recommend me a half link chain to work on this setup, will any half link work with this cog and chainring.. the chain I have seen is 1/2 X 1/8, do I need specific rear cog, and front chainring to work with this chain .. :?

TIA :)

TBH all of that magic gear stuff is more for show than go.
Might be better to bite the bullet and get a tensioner. Half links are always the first to break.

Agreed. And you may still not be able to get the right tension even with a halflink. Tension and allignment are critical.

Have you had experience with the half link chains breaking then :?

I must admit I have not tried it with a normal 8/9speed chain, presumably the wider the chain the stronger ?

This is the chain I was looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HALF-LINK-Colour- ... C294%3A200

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have a single speed trials bike and had to use a half link chain. Some people say they snap more easily, and they are usually people who have never had one. Many people who have had one think they are fine. However, you can get single links off ebay if you don't want a whole chain.

Oh - make sure you can't get away with a standard chain first though.

This is what I got:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0128728902

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Mike , would that chain sit ok then on a standard cog from a cassette ? and would it be ok with a normal front chainring ?

Yes - that one is the narrow type (3/32), it will be fine. Do check to see if you can get away with a standard chain first though. The one I linked is actualy quite light too (for the price).

The problem I've found with half-link chains like the YBN-Reluctant and the colourful ones you've seen, is that because of the angles in the side plates they tend to 'stretch' relatively quickly, and wear everything out prematurely.
It's arguable that the extra width can make for a stronger chain which is less likely to snap, but you end up getting through several just to stop wearing out your chainring and sprocket.
I've been using a SRAM PC-1 and a chain tensioner and find that while they aren't as pretty they do last much longer, and I haven't snapped one yet.

drystonepaul":yu7rdh49 said:
The problem I've found with half-link chains like the YBN-Reluctant and the colourful ones you've seen, is that because of the angles in the side plates they tend to 'stretch' relatively quickly, and wear everything out prematurely.

That's what I found when I was using one. When I went back to a conventional chain I noticed that it took a lot longer to stretch noticeably. Probably due to the fact that halflinks have twice the number of rivets in them.

Back