not very retro but

tony edwards

Old School Hero
Hi
I have been offered a rocky mountain etsx 30 second hand, but i know next to nothing about this model does any one own one ?and what are your thoughts on it?
I mainly ride cross country and currently own a 1999 model Marin rift zone. Is this bike going to be better than the Marin and is it any lighter or should I look elsewhere?

Cheers for your thoughts
Tony

tony edwards":3fg6df6w said:
Hi
I have been offered a rocky mountain etsx 30 second hand, but i know next to nothing about this model does any one own one ?and what are your thoughts on it?
I mainly ride cross country and currently own a 1999 model Marin rift zone. Is this bike going to be better than the Marin and is it any lighter or should I look elsewhere?

Cheers for your thoughts
Tony

Hi Tony.

I don't know anything about your Rift, but here's my ETSX30:

I think it's a 2005 model. It handles really well. Rear suspension is adjustable between, 3.5, 4 and 4.5". No chain suck is a bonus. I spent a few quid on this one and it weighs 29lb. I don't find it bounces too much climbing out the saddle but I'd like to get a lockout rear shock next. Not much clearance for anything above 2.1" tyres. I definitely recommend it! :D

Attachments

• aaa02062009397.jpg
    aaa02062009397.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 846
  • aaa02062009400.jpg
    aaa02062009400.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 846
i purchased a 2003 (1st gen) ETSX-70 second hand. it was completely spec'd wrong, it was spec'd like a ETSX-30 of that same year. this is my first full susp bike and i just love it. this coming from owning a 92 Cirrus for over 15 years. i pretty much pulled off everything off the bike and upgraded it, again with mostly second hand parts. you can get the details from the link in my sig below

it's a highly rated XC bike, with an excellent climbing geometry. the design of the rear susp is suppose to provide energy to push you forward when you pedal. coupled with a Fox RP23 or RP3 with propedal, it's sweet.

stock, i believe all ETSX models will be under 30lbs. depending on the size of the frame and your components, you can get it down to as low as 25-26 lbs. mine is currently around 27.5 lbs. i will probably shave a pound or so off when i finally upgrade my wheels and brakes.

i also don't know anything about the Marin Rift Zone. your best bet would be to just take the ETSX out for a quick ride around. that would be the quickest and easiest way to judge how the two compares. i'm fairly confident that if you give it a try, you'll like it.

thanks for the replys guys

Im going to see if i can borrow the bike for a sunday ride then i should be able to compare them back to back.

A quick question to you both how does the rear linkage stand up to the winter mud does it need regular maintance?

Many thanks Tony

I've ridden Tibolt's ESTX30 down some pretty gnarly off-piste stuff at Haldon and then back up the fire road to the visitor centre and was well impressed. Was the first time i'd tried full suss and have to say if i had the cash i'd seriously consider buying one. Floated down some very rough downhill and climbed ace too. It feels very light also (about 8lbs lighter than my DMR hardtail :shock: :LOL: )

i got my bike in mid january of this year, and used it to commute to work half hour ride each way. i would do it maybe once every 2-3 weeks or more, weather permitting. when i say that it was when it wasn't too cold (above -15C or warmer) and there wasn't too much snow or the roads too wet.

my linkage is still smooth from what i can tell, and i've not serviced them yet. also don't know how much abuse it got before falling into my hands.

if you are buying it, be it from a stranger or friend you know, the advice i got when i was looking to buy mine is to check the frame in the areas around the pivot points on the seat tube where for rear suspension hooks up, and also the seat tube where the top tube joins. if there is any failure, it would be these areas where you'd find possible cracks, which could be hair line ones, so check carefully.

Hi Tony
Sorry to interupt the thread but noticed you're from Coalville. If you fancy a mid week or weekend ride have a look at the East Midlands sticky in the Rides Meets Events list. Ticknall gets a lot of use as does Sherwood Pines and sometimes Cannock.

Rob

Back