Rapha Indy Fab

The Ken

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I've just seen one of these in my LBS - (brand new but in for a tune up!)

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3521

x_ht_detail_3.jpg

x_full.jpg

absolutely stunning.

Sitting along side it was a Ti Condor with similar etching to this,

IMG_3027-798-75.jpg

both owned by the same owner - Lucky man.

:LOL:

do you need ask . im not going to even try looking to see how much wheels like that cost . cant remember where i got the pic but ive had it for ages

is lightweight the company or a statement ?

Oh how I lust over Lightweight wheels :shock: ,starting price £2500 :!:
Had to make do with Zipps and Topolinos :cry:

MJN":2rarfzfi said:
Oh how I lust over Lightweight wheels :shock: ,starting price £2500 :!:
Had to make do with Zipps and Topolinos :cry:

oh you poor man :) my first road bike is getting shimano r500 :(

lovely looker :cool: the lightweights are very nice, they also do an awesome disc and rear derrailleur.

Here's what one commenter has to say:

"Peter White says:

Let's be very clear about something. Rims for racing bikes, such as the Mavic Open Pro and Velocity Aerohead, are made for people who use bicycles in races. That's why they're called racing bikes; because people actually race with them! To be a competitive road racer, you will not want to weigh much more than about 160 lbs. Even at that weight, you'll find yourself at a significant disadvantage in many road races, at least those with any hills. Since the manufacturers of racing rims are aware of this fact, they don't bother making these rims strong enough for 230 lb cyclists, regardless of whether those 230 lb cyclists have the curious notion that it would be a good idea to ride a bike with "racing rims" and 23mm tires.

Remember, reality is what it is, regardless of what you read in the cycling magazines.

So, when you call and tell me you weigh as much as the typical NFL running back and you're just tickled pink with your Campy Record 10 speed equipped bike but you want a set of wheels that are light weight and "bomb proof" (I love that one!) don't be surprised when I suggest you go on a diet and call me back in a few years. I'm not writing this because I don't want your business, it's because I hate feeding on misconceptions spread by the marketing departments of various cycling companies and the moronic magazine scribes.

I can build a very strong wheel that will hold 23mm or 25mm tires so that the wheel with tire mounted will fit in your "racing" frame. And even if you weigh 250 pounds, the wheel will be strong enough. But that doesn't mean that the bike is suitable for you. Since most "racing" bikes can't accept tires larger than 25mm, you'll need to inflate those tires to very high pressure in order not to pinch flat. The ridiculous pressure ratings you see on tire sidewalls are best ignored since they result in a harsh ride and no actual performance improvement.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp"

Hmmm...

To be a competitive road racer, you will not want to weigh much more than about 160 lbs. Even at that weight, you'll find yourself at a significant disadvantage in many road races, at least those with any hills.

I think my legs alone are 10 stone... Not much point in me buying anything lightweight then. Ever.

Back