local roads....

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
How good are the roads round your area? ive been riding more and more again recently . after a few months of car dependibility.... and im finding the roads pretty damn bad.. i.e

*pinchpoints (central island things) designed to slow traffic but the cars try to overtake and see the pinchpoint and nearly take ya out.... grrrr

*drains : they realy need to turn the slots the otherway round.... my bloody racing bike dont like them!

*the pothole: is it just me or is hampshire riddled with em? i can leave the county and the roads are great... come back in and its pure evil, especially around my town it seems EASTLEIGH (tackling climate change) thats the motto) but its not supprising people stick to cars going by the damn roads!!

anyone else here just keep biking to the weekend because of this? or am i just gunna have to get used to it again lol :LOL:

A harsh winter followed by sub standard patching. Around here, the council had got well into their seasonal surface dressing program (I hate that stuff) when, bam 28 degrees C. Result? Instant 'fatting up' and back to where they were only now with less budget.

sounds like your riding in the gutter

take your rightful place in the lane , get any grief from some twat driving past just shout back , remind them how short their life is and how they cant satisfy women . draw attention to their fatty boom batty belly . how everyone hates them for being such an arse or that everything they have ever done has amounted to nothing

remind them that there is no way some moron who has been sat on their arse all day would do anything if it came to fisticuffs against someone who is clearly full of adrenalin and at a peak level of fitness except fall to the ground and bleed

the cyclists will reclaim the streets while the fattys are having heart attacks :LOL:

got a few big pot holes at the end of my road, like about 2-3 inch deep, dont mind going over them on suspension bikes, but avoid on a rigid

mattbrown":lli3vtzn said:
got a few big pot holes at the end of my road, like about 2-3 inch deep, dont mind going over them on suspension bikes, but avoid on a rigid

I saw a Landrover stuck in one the other day.

perry":2hwi2qd5 said:
sounds like your riding in the gutter

take your rightful place in the lane , get any grief from some tw*t driving past just shout back , remind them how short their life is and how they cant satisfy women . draw attention to their fatty boom batty belly . how everyone hates them for being such an arse or that everything they have ever done has amounted to nothing

remind them that there is no way some moron who has been sat on their arse all day would do anything if it came to fisticuffs against someone who is clearly full of adrenalin and at a peak level of fitness except fall to the ground and bleed

the cyclists will reclaim the streets while the fattys are having heart attacks

Love it!

I was tanking it home after work taking my rightful place in the centre of my lane, when some dozy old bint pulled out on me. Luckily I anticipated it and was hard on the brakes in time. She still didn't see me and drove on completly oblivious while I was waving like a lunatic at the eyes I could see in her rear view. She didn't even glance in her mirror at all.
I caught up with her at the next set of lights and very calmly pointed out her error and that she could've killed me.
Of course she was still completely unaware of what she'd done, but she was clearly a bit shaken when I told her. I also reminded her very gently that she should be looking out for other road users and left it at that.
Sometimes it's better to stay calm and not let the red mist take over.
Hopefully she'll go home and have a think about it and be a bit more awake tomorrow.

What was worse was that earlier this morning another dozy bint nearly ran me off the road due to not using her mirrors.

Back on topic. The roads round my way aren't too bad until you hit the built up areas where you really need skills to ride fully rigid. Constant bumps, pot-holes and s*** drivers. Better on a bike than in my van though...

its always nice to have a shout and mention how your are now dead . its hard for someone to make any kind of comeback when your referring to yourself in the past tense

i ride on the smooth bit of road that a cars left hand wheels would occupy . far enough in the road so people know your there and have to slow for a safe pass but not so far over to cause a real nuisance and unnecessary anger

i also find the road isnt always the full width . whats wrong with laying a road to an edge , if someone came over to lay a carpet you would be a bit miffed if they didnt go to the edge :LOL:

i often fall off the side of the road into the unsurfaced wasteland , we dont need cycle paths , just a road that goes to the edge

Perry's right. You have to take control. Move out slightly at the pinch point to make sure that anyone would have to overtake THROUGH you. Even the chavved-up Corsas round here tend not to do that. :D

Southampton is also one of the least cycling-friendly cities around, which doesn't help.

There are some bad bits, and the winter hasn't helped. Just wait for the next few weeks when the highways people do their usual 'splash and dash' top dressing which just covers over the potholes leaving a gravel-filled dip.

The worst county I've ridden in recently seems to be Surrey - Hants is a tea party by comparison.

I would like to throw Gloucestershire into the pool.....

First time out on a road bike. The road between Chipping Norton and Stow on the Wold was quite honestly bloody dangerous!! :shock: I was riding with more caution than I would off road ...... Scarey

Back