Carbon seat pin question

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
I have decided to stop riding my 17'' frame as it's too small. So is it ok to cut down my 350 long seat pin down to 270? And can I then cut a 5mm piece of the left overs to use as a stem spacer? Oh it a newish USE Alien post.
P.S.
I wont be selling my 17'' Trimble

P.S.
Using a normal hack saw. (new Blade)

I don't see a problem with that. I've cut down carbon bars before with no serious problems.

If you do cut it make sure that you're wearing a dust mask as the dust from cutting carbon has an effect on the lungs similar to asbestos!

Also use a very fine blade, 32 tpi is ideal.

Xesh":1u83eic3 said:
I don't see a problem with that. I've cut down carbon bars before with no serious problems.

Unless it's just a tad, I'm not sure cutting down carbon bars is such a good idea as the carbon is thicker in areas that require extra strength - like under the gear/brake clamps.

obscurasky":jheqxmq7 said:
Unless it's just a tad, I'm not sure cutting down carbon bars is such a good idea as the carbon is thicker in areas that require extra strength - like under the gear/brake clamps.

These were Barflex bars from the early '90s. They didn't have re-enforcements then. They were filled with foam however. I cut about 2" off each side making them 17" overall. ;)

I imagine it will be hella difficult even with a saw guide to cut a stem spacer that is square enough even if its the right diameter.

Back