Not again...shipping carriers from USA - help please

Crell

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know this has been asked plenty of times but I'm not having much luck with the search engine. I need to reprogramme myself :)

I've just won something on the bay that I didn't expect to which is rather nice. Seller is quoting "about $100 USD inc 100 USD insurance".

I'm sure the frames I've had in the past were 70 or 80. Not that I'm quibbling over 20 USD , I'd just like to know which carriers / services people are using. I just tried the UPS site and came away with a 400 USD shipping quote :shock:

Many thanks folks.

use usps, the box has to be less than 108" total (you may need to cut a regular box down to fit) and for a frame only it should cost $65 uninsured.

i think tnt do it quite cheap. UPS quible over the slightest thing so i dont even bother.... not sure if you can fedex em now

UPS is too expensive. I have shipped numerous items to the UK with the USPS (United States Postal Service). The last time I sent a complete bike, in three boxes to fit the size requirements, it cost $186.00 from California to Manchester.

uno-speedo":npi0sjg9 said:
use usps, the box has to be less than 108" total (you may need to cut a regular box down to fit) and for a frame only it should cost $65 uninsured.
DITTO, the only way.

UPS , ie, NOT USPS (US postal service) is spendy. Sometimes you have to if its something special. But bank on £300. It takes around 3 days shipping to reciept, and is fully insured. And for something valuable enough to go with the extra UPS security, you'll have insured at ful value, so you;ll have to pay 4.6% duty on that.
SO, shipping at £300, +value of bike, + 4.6%, is ALL then subject to 15% vat.

if its just a frame, bagged for a bargain, USPS, $65 shipping, and declare the value at $75, and if you're lucky, it'll coem in under the radar. . ;)

Thanks all. I had a look on the USPS site but I can't find the service that seems to cover it all. The only service they do that seems to allow some decent dimensions is the Global Express Guaranteed that works out at 300+ dollars!
I was looking here.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices ... 4&O=7&sd=1

Which service is the one to go for? I'll take a risk on the insurance I think.

It's just a plastic tat frame, and not even retro ;)

Ah that got me moved! I thought I'd post it where the other shipping questions tend to go, as it's a common issue regardless of the age of the frame.

I've always used fedex for my business purchases for the past 8 years. Never had a problem. Worth getting an account with them if you are a business.

UPS don't charge the correct amount of VAT they guess from the size of the parcel.. :twisted: can you believe that.
I recently bought some western boots and a hat for my wife from the US I paid more in postage, import duty , handling charges UK postage and VAT on all that than I paid for the boots !....

The order got split into 2x deliveries and I paid a total of £43.00 to UPS in cash at the door and the boots and hat cost £60.00

I phoned UPS and complained that they had over charged the VAT and they said because the value was not marked they estimated the VAT from the box size .

On that basis you would be paying UPS about £100 import duty and VAT.

Forget UPS they should be investigated by the fraud squad for malpractice and fraud imo

It's the "Priority Mail International" service on the USPS site. Thanks all.

Revised price I got was 70 USD with 600 USD insurance (the max it does on that service).

108" maximum length when you add together the L, W, H or the package you want to ship.

Cheers!

Crell":3pbd17q6 said:
It's the "Priority Mail International" service on the USPS site. Thanks all.

Revised price I got was 70 USD with 600 USD insurance (the max it does on that service).

108" maximum length when you add together the L, W, H or the package you want to ship.

Cheers!

that price is only for international shipping from the US to the UK Customs .

From there you will have to pay UK UPS to process your parcel through customs, inport duty, administrative charges and VAT on all that and you'll have to pay all that at the door before they release your parcel.

Latest posts

Back