Grizedale Opinions

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Just ridden Grizdale forests mtb circuit and over all was disapointed. Lots of slogging up long very rough sections of single track and timber roads with little reward. Make it narrow and strewn with rock seems to have been the design brief. One long climb through the woods would have been good as a descent but rotten as an ascent. Lots of timber road which was dull, dull, dull plus bits of tarmac and several gates.

I'm being too severe probably, I did single speed it on a rigid Trek 8500 albeit with a flex stem :roll:

Just seems a shame with the Forestry Commision being a national body how some trails such as the 7stanes can be so universally well designed and fun and yet other forests within the same sphere of influence can be so, well..................dull/badly put together.

Your opinions on Grizedale if you've ridden it or of other trail centres you feel do not cut the mustard.

I only have a finite lifespan, a limit to my energy reserves aswell and so would like to narrow down the trail centres actually making the effort to visit :D

Your opinions are always interesting !

I did the orange trail at Grizedale 2 years ago and it was OK. A few years back when I lived up that way Grizedale was always our bad weather destination - relatively protected etc. Not particularly exciting though.

Never ridden in Grizedale but the Sculpture Trail is a pleasant afternoons walk. Terrain in Grizedale is good so should be ideal for a good trail centre. Depends who designs it I suppose- a missed opportunity perhaps??

Rallying on the other hand..... Love the stages up there- fast, flowing and technical. Tends to favour the brave rather than the well heeled which is great for us underdogs!

Where are you headed now Velo on your big grand tour?? Reliant's finest holding up ok?

Si

Bikes in Grizedale are bestest for getting round more of the sculptures than if you were on foot. It is one of my favourite places and that is for the sculptures - not for the trails.

Ting - one of the most lovely things in the world - I can't explain why it is, but for me a wonderful thing indeed.

I really have to disagree with you. I rode the green trail three weeks ago when i holidayed up there and agreed there are some long uphill sections but the reward when at the top was more than worth it. The views were incredible and the trails are very well kept. Its got so many little places you can venture off and get back. I do think they could make more off trail technical pieces but overall it would be a shame to chage it much. The fact is that Grizedale does what it says on the tin but if you were up that way why didnt you get out further to places like Grasmere, Buttermere and Keswick where there are some spectacular trails or did you??

I have extensive trail and route knowledge of Grizedale and its surrounding areas. This has built up over many years of exploring and linking sections together to create a particular style or type of ride.
I cannot understand why you would just ride the North Face trail there, as it's fairly knew and a load of bollocks in all honesty. The best trails are the old foot paths and dried streams and river beds.
The lakes are vast, and offer an almost infinite number of epic riding options. If you have imagination and curiosity, then time is your only constraint.

I remember when the NF trail opened in the September (I think), and I rushed up there to see what all the fuss was about. The trail was officially closed (with a big tree lying on its side), but it didn't stop me. I was so disappointed with the course terrain, poorly designed track and awful wooden structures. I make a point of avoiding it now, whenever I make my pilgrimage up there.

Also, I logged a complaint regarding the wet, off camber wooden bridges to the trail management company. They informed me that they would not be fitting any chicken wire as it may cause punctures or even worse tyre damage! Oh, but nearly killing people is alright then? I have yet to witness a trip up there and not see someone hurt from those wooden structures.

So anyway, go back with some imagination and ride it some more. There's loads!

Back