One for the DIY enthusiast - Damp on interior wall

I assume it's rising damp?

You'll need to get all the plaster off on both sides up to 1m, inject proofer, and then render and replaster.

Two days, about £250-500 I'd say.

Frankly I've seen enough shoddy DIY replastering on houses I've owned that I'd get someone to deal with it. IF you are keen to save a few bob, do all the stripping of the old plaster yourself.

In my experience you will have a problem with any guarantee by the proofer unless they do the making good.

:shock: Ships that much. Not sure as it's behind a wardrobe. :x and smells like old people. Perhaps its me :? :LOL:

Need to find out where it is coming from. No point fixing if it just going to come back.

Dodgy guttering?
Leaky pipe?
Lack of damp proofing?
Been leaving wet laundry in the room to dry with no air flow?

Is it properly damp or just a little mouldy?

Move the wardrobe, if the area behind is covered in black mould wash with neat bleach as regardless what poeple will tell you its the only thing that kills it. Its probably lack of circulation and will probably dry in this weather. Dehumidifier helps in the winter when its not really possible to leave windows open.
If none of this helps its either rising(omg) or penetrating damp. Injection is best fix for rising as said above. I've just rectified some penetrating damp on my house where a previous occupant had fitted a new window and left all the rubble from the knock out in the cavity(cock!). Both jobs heap big pain in the arse, here's hoping it only condensation :D

My mate had a similar problem around his windows. He's had his house re-pointed, painted, a new window downstairs, and the affected walls patched up and re-plastered..... Seems to have done the job.

You don't sleep walk do you tintin?

If so, put a lock on the wardrobe door. ;)

Al, funny? no! joke? no! :roll:

al":251ip047 said:
You don't sleep walk do you tintin?

If so, put a lock on the wardrobe door. ;)

Al, funny? no! joke? no! :roll:

Have you been spying on me and the GF :? :LOL:

I think it lack of circulation round the wardrobe. Will look soon

Back