Oil Fired Heating/Water

retrojon

Retro Guru
Went to look at a house yesterday and it had an oil fired boiler.

I am completely in the dark regarding these, does it cost much more than mains gas to run?

What do they burn, Kerosene?

They are a PITA. Burns "heating oil", basically diesel.
You'd only want it if you couldn't get gas to your house; you need a big tank in your garden which is a big target for gypsies and the size of a car.
Wood burning is the future.

Yes they burn kerosene, currently about 35p a litre. I've been told you can run them on red diesel aswell, but you aren't supposed too. Very expensive compared to mains gas. My direct debit for oil alone is £50 a month and we are very stingy with it. If its a combi then it will be more economical as we still have a standard boiler. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.

My current gas is £80 a month, hardly use any heating, not much cooking....
£50 sounds good!

I'm trying to find a direct cost comparison but can't find one.

Swings and roundabouts really.

In our area, Lincoln, there are 2 main suppliers, Chandlers and Watsons. Google them and see what they charge.

Oil tanks can be burried I think....

Only real prob with oil is if you let the tank run out you'll need to have your boiler re-set...£££'s!!

I had a little buy to let cottage with oil, never a problem.

I don't think ye can find a direct comparison- it's dependent on how good the c/h is and how well insulated the house..........it is more expensive than mains gas, by at least a third I'd say, and of course, ye have to pay up front for a tank full.........ye can be warm as toast all winter, and then bullshit British Gas for a couple of weeks until ye get them money to pay their bill come spring!! ;)

'Course, it also depends on the house- if its a bloody nice location with amazing views, big shed or outhouse for a Man Cave, then ye can chuck that into the equation.

I don't know what type of boiler you have, but our rayburn does oven, hot water and heating, until last year is was expensive, but we replaced the traditional burner with a high pressure jet type and since have saved nearly 50% on heating oil bills, i don't know how much mains electric costs cos we don't even have that, we use a Lister ST2 generator via a 3.2KW Trace inverter . . . . yes we can only run about 3000 watts at any one time!!! :LOL:

AB

Buying an oil-fired system would just be insane.

We heat house and water using compressed sawdust pellets, running into a stoker system.

Nearly Co2 neutral and so cheap that all alternatives we have looked into would take hundreds of years to pay for themselves.....

We will be getting solar panels for the hot water though....

If you are buying a house with it then chances are there is no gas available so you're limited in choice- oil or electric. I have oil fired and it runs water and heating in a 4 bed victorian house (not really eco friendly), the oil comes in at £1000 a year and is cheaper than my last place which was pure electric. Don't go for a DD with one supplier as you are then tied to their price, shop around when you need to refuel and you'll get a good price.

Two things to look for when buying a house with it:

1) how old is the boiler, replacements run into the thousands so if it's really old take that off the offer price for the house and get it replace with a decent one
2) what type of tank is it, steel or bunded plastic. If it's steel then it is probably a single skin which means whenit rusts through it leaks. Again, take that off the price as you should replace it.

If you're worried about running dry then get an electronic monitor which will have a digital display in your house that warns you when you're running low. Or do what I do and check your tank once a week in the winter and once a monthin the summer. It's a bit like checking your car for petrol, you do that on a regular basis so you don't run out and it's not hard to do the same for your house fuel if you're organised.

Modern boilers shouldn't need resetting if you do run out as most will have a cut out and auto reset.

Back