Aftermarket disc brake pads

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Dear all, can anyone recommend some decent disc brake pads? At the moment I use genuine Shimano XTR sintered (metal) in my M965 calipers, but they're £20 a pair and I replace them every year, that gets a bit expensive.

I've been reluctant to go 'pattern' or aftermarket after a set of pads from a reputable brand (who also make mtb pads) de-laminated on my motorbike - not the thing you want on a track-day! I have had Fibrax pads in my V-brakes, U-Brake and cantis for the last 12 months and found them to be very good. Anyone used them on discs? This looks a crackin' deal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0261197101

NB the reason I use metal pads as I found the fade in wet conditions too bad with 'organic' or 'resin' pads.

Cheers.

SP

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've used Fibrax, they were fine, did the job, can't say I noticed any difference between then & the OEM Hayes pads that were stock.

If you want cheap Superstar pads are dirt cheap. They did have some alleged quality issues initially but have resolved them now.

It seems a little sketchey in their ad where it says " suitable for all types of riding except for downhill". If that is the case, I wouldn't buy them- as the stock XTR pads are good on the downhill-unless you live in an area that is totally flat and never do any serious descents.

FairfaxPat":2wi90db8 said:
It seems a little sketchey in their ad where it says " suitable for all types of riding except for downhill". If that is the case, I wouldn't buy them- as the stock XTR pads are good on the downhill-unless you live in an area that is totally flat and never do any serious descents.
I think that's aimed more at DH riding where brakes get lots of punishment, rather than regular xc downhill type riding.

I guess it depends on where you ride and how hard you go. In my backyard we have 2500' MT. Tam, which I ride on almost every day, and I only want the best, no compromise brakes I can buy-but that's just me and my neighborhood's terrain, and maybe not necessary in some places. I ride about 3500 dirt miles a year and use up about 3 sets of the XTR metal pads-the resin ones go away in the wet and don't last as long in general.

true, the right kit for the terrain, luckily you have some awesome riding in your backyard, so awesome kit is needed ;)

Back