Modern disc wheelset XT / Mavic 717

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I spotted these on Merlin's website this week: "Pair XT 6-bolt disc hubs, built with Mavic XC717 black disc rims and black spokes" £139.95.

That's soo cheap! Are those rims any good? I have Shimano M475 hubs on Syncros Big Box rims with plain-gauge spokes at the moment and am wondering what if any weight saving I'll get. I'm guessing the hub / rim quality will be better, but the (M756?) hub body looks a LOT like the ones I've got now...

Any thoughts on comparable wheels for the same cash, or for that matter, are there any?!?

I have those rims on one of my bikes, with hope hubs. Can't fault the rims, very light and very strong. Even took them to the alps and blasted them down a few DH courses!
You will find however that the build itself is more important.

That's good to know. I have a set of Merlin-built wheels that I used for trials when I was a yoof and they're still going strong. I wonder if the same wheel-builder works there?!?

Merlin are quite highly regarded as wheel builders & the XC 717 rim is Mavic's top (non UST) xc rim, superb rims that will take a fair bit of abuse if built well too

Disc only version £139.95

V only version £134.95

Well worth the cash for either set.

merlin are ok but pay the extra for the dt swiss bd spokes over the aci ones they use as standard its worth the cost. like was said earlier its the prep and build that makes a good solid wheel not the parts (been building wheels for years and its all prep, knowlege and time). ask average mark he's just had a set made got the wheels though well made but rushed so the rims got scrathed up by the spokes (deep marks all over) during the lacing. my two pence

I've got a set of Merlin built XT hubs on 717s on my hardtail and they are running true after a few years of abuse, no problems. A set of Hope hubs in the build would weigh less but cost more, and as it is the setup should come in less less than your current wheelset.

I've got 717 on Pro 2 that came from CRC. Very good rims for all XC stuff - i would be a bit careful if you are riding bigger stuff though - I fitted these to my Meta 5 for a trip to Whistler and now have several 'dings' in the rims after attacking the bikepark..........

heathy":1693bqhb said:
Even took them to the alps and blasted them down a few DH courses!

Is that the same trip that you 'blasted' the hell out of my chalet? :shock: :twisted: ;)

i have the same wheels but with d.b. spokes. i'm a hefty bloke and not particularlt delicate either and they are still running fine

I believe Frank Turner is still the only wheel builder for Merlin, does it full time.

(hit their Our Wheels Tab)

I can say the None Disc version uses a choddy looking black FH-M760 for the rear, when I enquired about them a few months back.

Needless to say I didn't buy any as I would want silver and the current XT model if I was buying new.

just send them an email or give them a ring to get details.

I got a set a couple of months ago, but 719 rims, The build was good and they run true but when i recieved them the rims where a bit marked up. I let it go as i was desperate to ride the new bike but in reality should probably of returned them. I'm sure Merlin would of sorted it happily as every time i've used them i have got good service.

Back